What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop Updates

Lee

Guru
Maybe someone can help me here. Every once in awhile PS automatically updates itself when I open the program. That's fine. What I don't like is that on some updates it resets all my settings and I have to then go back to redo everything. If this had just happened once, no problem. Unfortunately, it happens every few weeks.

Can I stop this? Thanks

Second question, I curretnly use a PC. I am thinking of getting that new Mac at some point in the future. I realize all my programs won't work but how about images. Do they cross platforms without any problems?

ranger72

Hi Lee

That is a great question...in the past most all of the PC operating systems were forgiving of the os's which came before them...in other words retro-compatible....

Now...this morning's news revealed to me that Mac has just just released a "puter" that is based on a 64 bit platform...has 2gig's of RAM and two colossal harddrives and the fastest video card known to humankind (for now) ATI RADEON 9800 Pro

And I wonder if the introduction of 64 bits will render all our machines into crap?

After all the money I've spent on my machine I would have to take a long walk off of a short bridge if these bozo's have just intro'd something that would make my machine useless

ranger72 :{

ranger72

double post..deleted by ranger72

ranger72

lee

Sorry, I can't answer the original question but you can go here to find out all about the new powermac g-5... www.apple.com/powermac/

What an incredible machine...My Pc has been state of the art for the last year...I can see now that the powermac G-5 is possibly 4-5 times faster than my P-4 machine...woohoo!!

ranger72 %} :B

G

ranger72 said:
I can see now that the powermac G-5 is possibly 4-5 times faster than my P-4 machine...woohoo!!
Apple's advertising department did a great job to let you believe that Ranger! :rofl:

G

Lee, you can always go to Edit/Preferences/Adobe... online... and turn auto update off. They don't have a lot of updates anyway and if there is one, then everybody is talking about it, like v7.01 ;)

And Lee, if you're interested in a Mac... don't stare yourself blind on the hardware. It's mostly the software that gets the job done. The best hardware doesn't make you a better artist, it only speeds up your design process, which can be important if you're a professional designer.

Think a about a few things when you buy a Mac

- are there Mac applications that can do the same what your current Windows applications already do

- how much new software do you need and how much is that going to cost. Add that to the price of a new Mac

- about learning a new OS... are you willing to start all over again

- what kind of additional hardware is available for the Mac and how expensive is it. Does your current scanner, printer, camera etc work with your Mac?

- do you need to share your data/information with a lot of Windows users?

- how much software for the Mac is free available in comparison to Windows software

- can you convert all your current data to a Mac and I'm not only talking about graphics files

- do you want to share your computer with others who are not used to a Mac

- what is the major reason to update to a Mac and does it outweigh the switch from a Windows OS to Mac.

Trust me, this is not a discussion about which OS is the best, because I really DON't care. if you're a great artist then you can make great art on any Mac, PC or a Linux system ;)
This is about switching from one computer/OS to a totally different combination. I could also have talked about switching from Mac to Windows. In my work is was involved in a lot of migration processes, S/36-->AS400-->Microsoft Networks-->SAP and I've experienced several times how much people can underestimate the whole migration process, the costs and time involved.

I just want to point out that there's more to it then just buying a new machine ;)

ranger72

Hi gauss

Do you disagree with the premise?

if so why?

ranger72 :perfect:

I hope your right![/b]

ranger72

gauss

asked and answered! Thank you Gauss for re-inforcing what I already believed...guess I just needed to hear it from someone else...

Lee

Dear Lee, It seems I have hijacked your thread and to you sir my sincere apologies....but I think gaussie has answered both our questions

I beg your pardon!

ranger72[/b]

G

Video 2000 was better than VHS, VHS became the standard.
Mini disc was better than CD, CD became the standard,
Linux was better than Windows at one point, Windows became the standard,
Laser disc was better than tape, tape became the standard.
A BMW is better than a Volkswagen Golf, but the Golf is still the best selling car in Europe

The point is... there's more to it than just having the best hardware.

Those who don't take the time to understand this, can, and I repeat, CAN be very disappointed.

Rantin Al

Guru
Hi Lee,

As Gaussian says, don't just buy the latest hardware for the sake of it. A lot of other things have to be considered. Peripheral compatability or cost of replacement could be very expensive.
OK I'm a Mac orientated nut but I'm not into Mac v PC debates. If the machine you have does what you want it to do, then stick with it. I had an old Powermac with an upgrade card and that served me well enough.
Six months ago I considered the options for re-upgrading it again to a faster processor, adding a USB/Firewire card, CD writer etc etc.
The cost of the upgrades almost totalled the cost of a new machine, and it would still be behind the times. So I went for a new G4 six months ago. It is now obsolete! But at least I have a decent machine which does more or less everything that I will realistically want to do. I kept the old machine and use it as a 'server' with my scanner, printer, Zip drive, trusty Syquest. I just linked them over ethernet.
Adobe does cross platform software "swaps". Check with other manufacturers.
Most, if not all, of your files should migrate from PC to Mac ok, as long as you have the equivalent versions of software.(Office for Mac). PC & Mac Photoshop files are generally dual functioning.
As far as learning the new Mac system, it's a bit strange at first but dead easy once you get used to it.
The final choice is yours in the end, do the maths, check software swaps.

Cheers Al

Lee

Guru
Thanks all. Boy, that was more information that I was expecting. Once again, this place rules!!!

Guas, yeah, I was aware of most of what you posted. I was a Mac user for most of my computer "life" and switched to PC's only recently because I got tired of PC's having more software available. I have a great machine. Only a year old and still "somewhat" current (somewhat being the operative word in that sentence). You know how fast technology changes.

Anyway, what I did not count on when I got this current system is getting heavily into PS. Dual processors don't help most users but they DO help graphics and photography folks. I have up graded to 750Mb of ram and my machine STILL slows down when doing a lot of PS work. I can live with the now but it will start making me crazy at some point in the future and it will be time to get a new machine. As my needs for software variety don't seem to be as pressing as I thought they would I was considering switching back even at the cost of all new peripherals (as dumb as that is).

When I saw that new G5 w/ all the goodies it offers folks who use graphics and then couple that with that stunning 23" HD Cinema display and I start thinking about what I need to sell to be able to get that equipment. Let me see, my house, car, guard cat....okay, just kidding but I really am (and always have been) a hardware junkie.

I can't afford it now anyway so it's out of the question. My concern was for personal files being able to make the switch. As I mentioned, I knew software wouldn't.

Thanks also for the control to turn off the updates. You say that's okay as most of them are really not worth having???

Thanks

G

Lee said:
You say that's okay as most of them are really not worth having?
Not, that's not what I said Lee. They just don't have any updates...

Of course they have an update like v6.01 for PS 6 and v7.01 for PS 7 and that's about it. In all those years, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, I've only seen vx.01 updates.

I remember the time when 7.01 came out; members on every PS related board were talking about it. An update for Photoshop makes headlines, so I don't see the need for Photoshop's update that only slows down Photoshop or causes problems like you have Lee.

It's just my personal opinion though ;)

G

Rantin Al said:
Most, if not all, of your files should migrate from PC to Mac ok, as long as you have the equivalent versions of software.(Office for Mac

Absolutely true, but with this you also hit the nail on the head!

I bought some quite expensive software, but I was happy that I was able to spread all my purchases over several years.

The moment that I want to switch to Mac, I have to replace it all at once, simply because I still use all of them. But hey, I'm not going to pay several thousand dollars just to replace all my software! :shocked:

See, so this has nothing to do which system is good or bad. I would have the same problems as a Mac user who wants to make a switch to Windows ;)

Rantin Al

Guru
Gaussian, just to clarify what I said.

If you switch from PC to Mac, you can get an equivalent cross grade of the software. (From Adobe at least) All that is required is a statement that the original software has been destroyed.

Cheers Al