What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planet with terrain

SilvrWolf

I recall seeing a tutorial on planetphotoshop about how to create a planet with realistic terrain; mountains, valleys and shadows. I can no longer find this tutorial and was wondering if anyone had a copy or knows of another one. All the other tutorials were just using render clouds some blur and some lighting to create a "gas-type" planet. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, I would like to see that one too. I tried Vue d'Esprit (crashes all time), Bryce and a trial of Mojoworld but I would rather stick to Photoshop; gives me all the freedom I need.

I did see one somewhere, using the cracklure filter, I'll have a look for it.

Interesting tutorial Wendy, need to have a look at that one later this day.

I found thisone at planet ps.com , it is not a planet, but is another approach using the brush engine to create a 3d terrain, from Colin Smith of Photoshopcafe.com

Well Rick, it's apparent that you have a little more spare time on your hands now that you're 'retired'! Didn't take you long to whip up a planet! ;) Great job! ;)

Yeah, it looks like an interesting tute and one which I'd like to try myself. Problem - sooooooooo many tutes - soooooooooo little time!

sPECtre, that is a great one too! :D I'm adding it to my "to do" list.

What might be an idea SilvrWolf is to try it by hand. It's not all that difficult and just needs a bit of practice.

Look at this site: http://digitoils.com

On this page he shows how created one his landscapes; http://digitoils.com/howdo.html

(he did it with Paintshop, but the principles are the same)

By accident I used the same techniques that he is using in one of my older designs: http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=7840

Once I have my tablet, I'm only going to landscape in Photoshop and nothing else ;)

Wowser... great link Gauss! I would love to learn techniques like that! One of these days...

My First attempt

nice SilvrWolf :perfect:

and thats a cool new avatar wbiss :perfect:

Well doesn't that give you more statisfaction SilvrWolf than just just clicking a few buttons to create this in a dedicated 3D program?
Nice job and you can just make all the modifications you want; Photoshop is not going to restrict you.

Well done :perfect:

SilvrWolf well done! ;)

Tx chiMera...

Thanks everyone. Think I put to much noise in my "space" background, need to tweak that.

Silvrwolf
Here is copy of a pic that Stu posted a while back. It is a starfield he created for eveyone to use :D

Tx Rick for reposting that! :D I hadn't seen it b4...
And, it's a great one, Stu! ;)

Silvrwolf, if you want to get rid of some noise, go to image adjustments/threshold and play a bit with the settings (one of Mark's tricks) You also might consider several star layers, for different sizes or colors; old stars are red, young stars are white/blue. You might also concentrate some stars to create the illusion of a milky way.

Back