What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing with circles, can anyone help?

Solistar

I'm trying to make an image similar to the one attached, my problem is getting the broken globe look of the attachment (Its the dual colored blue thing at the bottom of post :D )

No idea how to explain it, hopefully someone will have an idea :)

-Shawn

Welcome aboard Solistar! :) It's a pleasure to have you join our phriendly, photoshop phorum!!!!

[confused] Ummm.... maybe it's just me, but there's no image attached to your post here, Shawn!

;) Try again!

Pretty straight forward really... :)

Here's a quickly put together example. But it provides all the needed info.
Checkout the animation below i've made. Each step is shown on its own. Then a combined version, then with colour added.

Basically put, you're creating ovals, the selecting them and using the SELCTION/Transform Selection... function to reduce the size of the selection. When you've done this, and perhaps even moved the selection a little to create the porper crescent shape, you delete the selected area.

The same proceudre is done 2x. 1 for the main circle, and once for the thinner oval ring. The second oval ring is a duplicate of the first, that's been rotated 180 degrees. Then moved into position.

The only other specific thing you need to do is erase or select and delete the small area shown within the red circle in the animation.
After that, the separate parts are coloured. And if you wish, all layers Merged together -- except the BG layer. (not Flattened, Merged)

Any confusion on this, just ask. [honesty]

Looks like you got your answer. Great tute Mark as usual.

Sanby

Oops... :\ I missed that image when I read your post, Shawn, thinking that was your signature. Sorry about that! ;\

Cool ani to explain your procedure Mark! :perfect:
Hey, I like your new avatar too! ;)

Thanks alot!

I'd thought it would be something like that, I was just having problems with the ovals :p especially the ovals in the middle

Anyway I really appriciate your help, that gif you made will help so much and give me get a better idea of how to make the ovals and cut them out

thanks!
-Shawn

Stupid question

I feel like an idiot, but I can't seem to delete the circle like you do, when I delete it the circle I created (to make the moon) disapears instead of turning the black circle into a moon shape.

I can get around it by filling the circle in with white, but was wondering how to correctly do it

-Shawn

Welcome aboard Shaw :perfect:
you can't delet hmmmmmm [innocent] you have the correct layer selected....... you have created the shape that you want to cut out and it wont delete :\ can't see why it wouldn't delete - brain cells aren't working, have you tried "cut" found under edit?
sfm

Thanks

I think i got it, my problem I guess is using the other shape functions, I just don't understand how to use them.

I finally figured out how to sorta do it the way it is shown in the gif, but I had to do a bunch of wierd vector stuff and don't really understand how it's done.

Anyway I'm almost finished with my version of the drawing and I'll post it after i finish so you guys can see how it looks. If anyone knows where I can find a detailed explaination of different shape options (ie: paths and shape layers) and somewhere that describes how vectors work, when they are used and why they are so wierd.

-Shawn
"one day I will crawl out of the newb hole :) "

It sounds to me that your selection is inside-out Solistar. Press Ctrl+Shift+I to inverse it. You should only see a selection marquee around the circle object... not running around the outer edge of the canvas area.

PLUS...
I did not use Vector Shapes for this image. I just created/used basic good ol' selection shapes. That may be your real problem here.

If you want to, it would be a simple thing to convert these basic shapes to Vector when you're done the image.

Here is my version

I just finished what I think will be the final look for the picture, thanks again Mark for the help

Mark

Nope, I didn't have my selection wrong, what I don't understand is when you deleted the 2nd shape to get the moon shape (and each time you did it afterwards)

I'm using photoshop 7.0 and when I create my 2nd circle to be smaller, then move it over the original circle (to make the moon shape for the 1st example) I then use the free transform tool to make it just right, click somewhere else so I can apply the transform tool changes

Now I am left with 2 circles. one is selected, of course when I delete it the 2nd circle is gone, so just not sure how you did it so that you can delete the circle and make the half moon shape without coloring in the 2nd circle. I got around it by just coloring in the 2nd circle with white (background color)

Thanks again
-Shawn

PS: Still looking for a good site that explains vectors and the different options you can use with the elipse tool

Back