What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help me figure out how to color shapes like this

Leprakawn

Hello, all! Hopefully one (or a few) of you know how to accomplish this colouring method here...and would you let me know how to do this, PLEASE?
photoshop - create me.PNG
Without a doubt...serious and MAJOR thanks to you for the assistance!

photoshop - create me - part dos.PNG

There are 2 ways I can see to do this kind of artwork.

If it is just photoshop it can be done with multiple shapes and "Blending modes". The only thing to look out for is what color when blended with the bottom layer gives you dull white or Orange(just an example). You have to figure it out. If you are new to PS a simple search on how to use "blending modes" will help you out.

If it is an illustrator( and a little bit of photoshop for the effect ) then it can be done with "shape builder tool". But this will take more time!
Also, Illustrator also has blending modes. Again Blending mode is the easiest way.

I too have a similar style! :)

Last edited:
If you are referring to coloring in an existing pattern, in Ps, you could use the Magic Wand Tool to make selections, and then just fill them in.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.02.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.02.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.07.41 PM.png

If you're going to build this from scratch, I would suggest using the shape tools.

Yes, I was going to attempt using the shape-building tools, but I was stumped on the colouring method. Thanks for the Illustrator suggestion as I will head over there and try it out.

siggy-img.png

Yes, I was going to attempt using the shape-building tools, but I was stumped on the colouring method.
If you have specific questions on a technique, let us know. If you are using shape tools, you set the color of each shape in the tools options bar. It's very easy.

Two shape tools, the Ellipse Tool and the Pen Tool.
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 9.15.06 PM.png

Add a stroke....
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 9.15.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 9.15.35 PM.png

Back