What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polygon shape is grainy (pixeled)

webmasterone

first of all, i'm newbie to photoshop, i'm still learning to use it, so, please, be patient.
I'm italian, and i use Photoshop CC 2017, so please also sorry for the not too correct english

I've a picture 1024x307 px

i would like to have it as a background, and set upon it many "display" (polygon shape) as you can see in this image:
0c6d7094-tics-en-las-empresas.jpg

they should appear as little smart display, hexagonal in shape, floating in the air, wich show a product icon

So i made some exagon (shape / polygon / exagon), making than as effect to the layer: trace / internal shadow / internal flare / external flare / external shadow)

my result was this:

1584611164922.png

and the result i had putting it upon the background image was:

1584611211495.png

I don't understand why exagons are so low resolution, pixeled....

1584611251267.png

and the same for the images i putted into the exagons....

but yet also the starting image (yhe one i give you the link) is litte (littler than mine) and esagons are more or less the same dimension of mine... but that exagons are pretty cool....

this is my image properties:

1584611352230.png

Can anyone one give me a little help on how to proceed , and have a better result ?

eventually also some suggestion on how to make these exagon displays in a better and realistic way ?

they should appear as little smart 3d exagonal dispaly, floating, with product icon inside

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

Not sure about your aliasing problem other than you need to work with large, high resolution images and documents. I would need to know more about what you did when you moved the hexagons over to the background image............what size was that image?

As for the hexagon, the original example you posted does not have a stroke. It only has an outer glow.

Here I created the hexagon using the Polygon Tool set to shape, fill: white, and six sides.
I used "outer glow" in a layer style.
I then converted to a smart object (so I can copy and edit all together)
Added a smart Gaussian blur filter.

All I did was make copies of the shape layer (which is a smart object), resize them with free transform, and move them around.
If I don't like how it looks, I can double click any of the shape (SO) layers and edit. The changes will be applied to all of the hexagons.
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 8.30.59 AM.png

The hexagon shaped lines are nothing more than a hexagon made with the Polygon Tool, shape, fill: 0 and stroked (white).

With Icons....
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 12.05.37 AM.png

The icons were created with the Custom Shape Toolon layers above the hexagons. They also have a "outer glow" layer style.
The unique see through effect of the icons was created by duplicating the background layer, placing it at the top of the layer stack, setting it's blend mode to "Lighten", and lowering the opacity.

There is a "techno/graph" overlay that I have not added yet.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you have any questions..........let us know.

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 10.49.21 PM.png

webmasterone

Hi, sorry not to have answered yet.
I made again my exagons, starting from a bigger resolution picture, and this time they were good.
I'm wondering why the example picture (lower pixel picture) had good exagons, and mine not.

Anyway, increasing pixels is OK.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm wondering why the example picture (lower pixel picture) had good exagons

Your example photo (1000px x 628px) is low res and was also aliased. It was certainly a copy that contained artifacts.
The original was probably much larger. It just appears better when viewed at 100% zoom.
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 9.34.22 AM.png