What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Polygonal Lasso Tool automatically subtracts after selecting.

puppychew

Power User
Hi
Windows 10
Photoshop CC

When I use the Polygonal Lasso tool I have the box chosen "add to selection"
I have been using that to select and select more and when I want to subtract I select the "subtract from selection box"

Now for no reason once I select something the tool automatically switches to subtract from selection. This is driving me crazy for I would repeatedly make numerous selections in a row. Now i make a selection and when I spend all the time adding to my previous selection I find that I am in subtracting from selection mode.

Why did this change and how do I stop this?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not sure what's going on, but try resetting your tool. If that doesn't work, reset your Ps prefs.

thebestcpu

Guru
If IamSam's suggestions don't work, another angle to consider are the system settings for sticky keys. If you use a modifier key to switch between add and subtract selection, it will "stick" in the new mode until the modifier key is clicked again. Here is a link about what enables and disables sticky keys in Windows 10. Not sure this is your issue yet I have seen it cause the problem with a few others
John Wheeler
Windows 10 Sticky Keys

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @petersmith98 , @Scooby Magic , @iLLuSioN, and @puppychew

All good possibilities yet wanted to point out that the whole thread was active this last June so a bit stale.
Just or reference, I did find a way to duplicate exactly the behavior described.

If the Opt key (Alt on PCs) is held down either by a keyboard failure or by Accessibility sticky keys, if you start with no active selection, you can click on the "Add" mode and have it stay there until the selection is completed and then it will automatically jump to subtract mode. I think it will stay in subtract mode unless all of the selection is deleted and it gives a warning message that no pixels are selected and the warning is accepted. If the "Dont show again" warning is selected at some point before, the warning will not show and it will seamlessly go back to add mode again.

Maybe @puppychew will provide some insight if the problem was resolved and how
John Wheeler