What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preview hijacking any image I want to open

Reemie

Banned
If I double click an image regardless of file type, png, psd, tiff... whatever. Preview opens to show it to me. This is a first ever. What's going on? How do I get rid of it? Don't even use the program. I want my images to open in PS as they have done since PS 3.

What's going on with adobe? Things are not getting better but rather more problematic than ever.

Thanks.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
1. Find any image file stored on your hard drive and right click on it. Result: a menu box will appear.
2. Select Properties, then select the General tab. Result: an information panel appears that has a Change button.
3. Click on the Change button. Result: You will see a box listing both "recommended" and "other programs" available on your computer. You may also click on Browse to find another program if your choice is not listed. Select the application you want to use. (In this case Photoshop)
4. Make sure there is a check in the box at the bottom beside "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file." Warning: if this is not checked, the new application will apply only to that one file.
5. Click on OK.

Reemie

Banned
Thank you... I neglected to mention that i am on a Mac. My menu only tells the machine which particular program should open that particular image. Would you know the procedure for a Mac? This is making me crazy and I don't know why it's happening. It just started after all these years.

Reemie

Banned
Thank you. I did follow the instructions, but it's still opening Preview. I just want it to open all images in PS. I didn't do anything to make this go awry. I don't understand adobe. First the hijacking of my chosen font and no way to stop it no matter what. Even spoke with the techs in New Delhi and they don't know how to fix it. Now this. Paying for 2 programs only one of which I want or use. I know a lot of folks are quite distraught over the rental issue, the pricing and the inability of the last font used to remain in place when opening a new image.

polarwoc

Guru
This procedure seems similar to the link provided to you before. The pics are different, maybe you might find it familiar to your current OS. Once file association is set, that extension file is opened by the chosen app rather than default app.

So, when you Right click on a PSD file, click on "Get Info", it should show "Adobe Photoshop" against "Open With:". Show some screenshots if you need further help.

I provided link/s about solving your fonts issue by changing default folder in a previous thread. The tech guy on phone helped you after that. When you got that problem back, you should have tried those link/s. Again, screenshots would help us understand your issue better.

Did you know that as a member of this forum you can vote in our Monthly Contest? If you do vote, please leave a comment too.