What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing crop marks with full bleeds

angelgal7

I'll bet this is a really stupid question, but here goes...

I'm creating a postcard in PS - 4-1/4" x 6". My image size is set to 4-1/2" x 6-1/4" to allow for a 1/8" bleed around the card. I go to "Print with Preview" and set the bleed to 0.125" and ask for corner crop marks, but when I print the piece the crop marks are not there. Am I setting up something incorrectly?

Any help would be really appreciated!
8}

Hmmm... Sorry I don't know the answer to this one, but I hope someone will, 'cause I sure can use crop marks when I make my CD covers ;)
BTW welcome to the forum B7

What kind of printer are you using? How big is the media? How big of media does your printer support?

I'm not 100% sure about this as I've never bothered to test (heh), but the crop mark printing may be a postscript feature like how separations are a postscript feature in Illustrator and you won't get them to print on an inkjet printer (if that's what you're using).

I usually build my crop marks by hand for home printing projects to avoid any issues with postscript level incompatability and support.

Which is what I also recommend.

I usually create the image a tad too large (the "bleed", 3mm, O,125inch on every side).
Then I drag guides to the correct size the card has to be.
Next I create a new layer, set foreground colour to black, and activate Snap.
Then I choose the rectangular selection tool, set to add to selection and draw four approx. squares on the outside of the guide/corners (like cropmarks), and stroke them one pixels line.
Finally I erase the inner corner of the rectangles.

You can use cropmarks, bleeds etc, but these are more for imagesetters and offset printers.

Back