What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing magazine, CMYK issues

defpoet

Hey, this is my first time posting on here because I'm in desperate need of some help. I've been using Photoshop for some time now, but I still don't know some of the basic information.

This is my problem:
I'm trying to publish a magazine for my community, and I'm using Photoshop CS3 to design the magazine. From what I know about printers and printing presses, they print using CMYK - therefore when I create my documents I've been using the CMYK 8 bit Color Mode. My resolution is set at the 300 pixels/inch, but I'm not sure what my Color Profie/Pixel Aspect Ratio should be.

I've also been told that most printing companies prefer PDF documents, and I don't know the right options to choose when saving my PSD's as PDF's through Photoshop.

I noticed my first problem when printinga sample at Kinko's. I had mostly black and white on my image, but I had a light yellow to dark yellow gradient as a background, and when it printed, banding appeared towards the lower part of the page where it should have been dark yellow. Basically that gradient wasn't smooth. I also noticed this on my computer when using a CMYK Color Mode, but it was less subtle (when I use RGB, the gradients are perfectly smooth from light to dark).

The sample I took to Kinko's was a:
  • Flattened image,
  • Then saved as a Photoshop PDF
  • As a Copy
  • ICC Profile: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2

I just need to know the right options to start my image, and the right options to save my image as a PDF to ensure the best print quality with no sacrifce to color, gradients, etc.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get.
Thank you very much.

Back