What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem opening Photoshop CS on my portable hard drive....

butter5784

I installed Photoshop on my portable hard drive in hopes that I can travel with it without the need for a laptop since I have a computer at home and work. I would like to use it at both. I get an error at work that says.... Memory could not be allocated for the activation process. Please close all applications and try again..... I Know this is incorrect as there is plenty of ram and available memory on the sytem. Is it not possible to do what I'm trying to.??

butter5784 hahaha (i am not laughing at you) i like this, good post request.

First of all you mean to use it in portable drive thats fine but first tell me how you backup a copy of CS,
used MS Backup or any other backup program (mention it).Or you are using the Portable version.

Another thing memory mean not the physical memory.

Answer these and will tell you how to make you app get working.

I"m not sure what you are asking exactly.

I installed CS on my computer at home and told it to install in the portable hard drive. It works on that computer. When I take the drive to work it doesn't work. There is nothing extra installed on my work computer. Just a basic new computer. Nothing fancy but it definetly meets the minimal requirements for CS.

This is not a back up copy. I didn't know they made different types of Photoshop CS. I've only seen upgades and full installs.

I don't believe your portable hard drive has the registry info required for PS to run on another machine. Unless you have a portable version of PS.

Explain to me MindBlasting how this routime solves the following problems; Photoshop needs the registry and Photoshop needs to store data in program files\common files\adobe and in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\'user name'\applications\adobe. In some cases there will even be data in the \Windows\System32 folder.

You make it sound too simple. :\

MindBlasting said:
Fun Thing: In this way you can run any app you want
That's simply not true, I can give you a list of tons of applications that simple won't work using your method or work limited in some way. Now you can get away with it in some cases when you use the portable application on one and the same computer, but once you use a different computer that actually has that application installed you're risking some major trouble.

If you want trouble free portable applications, then you need U3 and programs written for U3: http://www.u3.com/

Mind you, it doesn't mean that you can't get non-U3 applications to work on non-U3 drives, but if you want 100% guarantee that it works, then U3 is the best option, especially for people who don't want to be bothered with all kind of technical issues.

It doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your suggestion for this specifc issue, but I do want to avoid that people follow your suggestions blindlessly and then return to our board being mad that they just screwed up someone's Photoshop installation. We're here to get rid of people's frustrations, not to introduce them ;)

Quote from:Gaussian
Photoshop needs the registry and Photoshop needs to store data in program files\common files\adobe and in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\'user name'\applications\adobe. In some cases there will even be data in the \Windows\System32 folder.

Ok i will make the backup process and i will talk to you later................

Back