What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS 6 -> 6.0.1

Anamacha

I've been trying to update PS 6 to 6.0.1 on my Macinntosh for a while now. When I run the updater, it looks ONLY on my startup disc for PS, and it's not there. I've got a 40Gb HDD that I've partitioned into five disks, and PS is on one of the partitions that isn't my startup disk.

Does anyone know how to make the 6.0.1 updater look elsewhere for PS? The only solution I can think of would be to move PS to my Startup disk, update it, and then move it back, but I don't think there's enough space on it for that.

Anam.

theKeeper

Guru
Hi Anam...

Well this is a first on me. I've never known a patch to not be able to find it's program on a system before. My guess is that partitioning has made the trouble here. But that doesn't help you knowing that.

My best suggestion actually would be to take this problem to the tech guys at the Adobe "U2U" forum. They'll definately have the right answer for you. If anyone would know what the problem is, they would. I myself use a PC, so i'm not hip to the inner workings of the Mac OS.

Sorry for not having a more specific answer for you. But one using the program would really know much, or anything, about how Adobe makes their upDate patches to work. Only their tech guys do. So that's why i suggest you hit them directly with this one.

Good luck.

PS: If anyone else does feel they can help with this, have a go at it, please.

kiwi

Guru
I have PS 6.0.1 on a partition John :) ....when you install and it asks for a disk can you not select your partition of choice?

Stu.

Anamacha

well, thanks for taking a stab at it, at least, Mark :) You suggest going to Adobe; do you have an URL for them more specific than adobe.com? I tried looking in their knowledgebases the other night, and I don't recall seeing any link for direct email support.

Stu, if I recall correctly, the updater just looks and looks for the original program, and never finds it. It's a new one on me, too. It never gives me a chance to specify where I've got the program stored.

Now that I think about it, I've got PS nested a few layers deep in the folder hierarchy ... maybe it would work if I moved it to the top of the partition ... hmmmm. Where did you have yours when you updated it, Stu?

Anam

theKeeper

Guru
Ya Anam... just use the "Forums" link under the "Support" section on their front page.

Here's the link to the Photoshop Forum: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b366

You'll need to Register to be able to post to the boards. It takes all of 2 minutes though. No big hassles -- i.e. don't have to wait around for a confirmation email or nothing... you stay on their site.

kiwi

Guru
I have PS on a separate partition John,and then I have the Adobe photoshop folder,and then inside that folder is the application icon.If you have it buried deep it could be the problem as sometimes updaters look for a file in its original position of install :) ....the other possibility is that your up dater might be ill.I f all this fails then go to the users group they are really good and the people who write the PS prog often answer questions as well :D

Stu.