What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS Crashing with Wacom

ToXin

Hi, I havn't posted in the forum yet because reading other posts has given me enough to learn :) , but now I can't find the post that contained information about PS crashing when using a Wacom.

I have reset the preferences and also removed the 'pen tools', at least I think I have, but I'm still sometimes getting a crash when I use my new tablet :( , so it's just an expensive desk ornament at the moment.

I'm running 98SE with 512Mb, of which 470Mb is set for PS(5.02) and a whole HD partition for the scratch disc - rightly or not I don't know. Previously I've had 50+ layers in a .psd so I don't think I'm pushing the limit of my PC.

Any help or avenues for research would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you for your time.

vogonpoet

gonna wing it a bit here, as I am not an expert in Hardware stuff.

I use a graphire 4x5 (smallest cheapest) wacom, and if I recall correctly , I had a few problems installing the wacom drivers for the tablet. I think I think to do it a few times, before it finally worked. I too am using 98se, so my first advice is to uninstall/reinstall the driver , this time paying very close attention to instructions.

This might help.

Have you checked under your settings--->control panel--->system--->device manager for any confllicts that might appear when you have installed your wacom? Sometimes you may see a conflict, that might be a cause of your probs.

::edit:: you might also (if you havent already) try checking over at the adobe forums, or at the wacom website, for any topics that might cover this as a 'known' issue. Quite often, probs like this are not unique, and there might already be a solution. Just anothr thought :)

Sorry I cant be of any more help, I think Mark, Erik or Kiwi maybe be of more help with this question.

Hope ya get it sorted :)

ToXin

Thank you for replying ~Vp~

Yes, I did have some trouble with the original installation of the drivers, totally my fault, I then got the updated ones from the Wacom site and re-installed them, I think correctly.

There does not appear to be any conflicts in the system, I forgot to say that my tablet is a USB, plugged into a 4 port hub. The other devices are idle when I use the tablet but I checked by plugging the Wacom directly into the PC - I still have the same frequency of crashes.

I did visit the Wacom forum - a bit of a ghost town [stuned] -but nothing there about this, nor at Adobe. I did however find some useful information on getting rid of the 'wobbles' (pointer stutter) and altered my monitor refresh rate to stop RF interference.

kiwi

Guru
Hi guys :D

ToXin what model is your tablet...ie Intuos,Graphire etc?

When you place your pen on your tablet does the little led indicator change from red to green?

Also under HELP there is also diagnostics.Check that all switches are open and that when you press your pen or mouse button that it updates in the list :)

Pentools hangs out in the PS plugins folder,but you have to place it there yourself.Pentools has caused issues for people which is a pain because they are great plugins.

Try raising the memory alloted for the Wacom control panel also

If none of this has helped go to Wacom and use the support link and mail them your concerns.They usually mail back within 2 - 3 days are very friendly and helpful :)

Good luck :D

Stu.

ToXin

Thank's for replying kiwi

oops, left out tablet type [doh] - A4 intuos2, the diagnostics shows up that everything is working, it registers all the buttons and tilt / pressure.

Not sure where to adjust the memory for the tablet control as you suggest [confused] (can't find it - yes I'm stupid)

kiwi

Guru
Join the club I am as thick as two of those long thingies :D

I am using a Mac so for memory I click on my alias > file show original > get info >memory,then I browse to memory in the pop up list,from there a memory adjust window should open......thats for a Mac though.

If the switches are all showing up as open then I asume it must be the connection somewhere,unless it is starved of memory which is doubtful.So none of your other USB devices cause this problem when connected straight to the PC?

I started using PS from 5.5 so PS 5 is tablet friendly?....yes.

A friend of mine uses a Wacom on her PC and had a few hassles with crashes when she first installed I will give her a yell she is also a member here :)

Stu.

ToXin

I actually disconnected the other devices from the hub just in case, but it's still crashing occasionally, although only once so far today... but the night is still young.
I'm still trying to find if there's a memory setting for the tablet itself, like I said to begin with PS has 470Mb to play with.:)

kiwi

Guru
Ya the tablet has its own control panel which you set an amount of memory to :)

I forgot to mail Rose [doh]

I will do it now :)

Stu.

kiwi

Guru
If you have 512m and 470 set to PS that does not leave a hell of a lot of memory for your OS let alone anything else :) .Set your memory to 400m for PS and see if that helps.I have 512m as well and I set 400m to PS because my OS usually asks for around 50m all on its own and with another 70 on standby I know I am safe :).

Try that ToXin :)

Stu.

ToXin

Thank's for the suggestion[excited]
In the preferences where I can specify the memory fpr PS - it asks for a %age which I set to 100% - this just happens to be 470Mb. I did have the crashing problem before I altered this, the default was 75% so I'll put it back.

I've been through the tablet control pannel, perhaps this time I'll look more closely.:perfect:

Erik

Guru
ware

Hi there,

What I can suggest is to contact Wacom England. All in the beginning I did have a problem with the numbers on the upper side replacing my cursor and in a very friendly manner they explained every step I had to take.

I just say this because I am very reluctant to suggest you delete the Wacom and pentools keys in the registry...

I suppose that the first software install is still the cause of the problems.
About your memory for PS: 65% is reaaly more than enough.
In fact: Win98 can't really handle more than 128MB of SDRam. More to it is just plenty and it takes its percentage, not the quantity it needs.

Whe you contact Wacom, it might be useful to write down exactly what and when it happens.
Do you have problems when using it with other software, does it crash when painting, cloning, what screen resolution do you use, what is the MB of your video card, is it video on board, Matrox, GeFORCE, ATI Radeon, how are your systems resources (this is not RAM, but the memory Win uses for the graphic and hardware interface,...etc.
About these Systems Resources: Go to Control Panel, system and then you see a tab with your configuration. Here you can see how much of your resources are eaten up by software running in the background. Software like your Wacom, a virus scanner, progs you installed and also maybe even spyware.

To know what is running you can either go to google and search for Karens Powertools, or you can try MSCONFIG which gives you all the things that are starting up.
You can also press Ctrl+Alt+Del once to get a list of what is running.
My idea, these resources are often the cause of crashes etc...

To get rid of spyware, look for AdAware and get the latest file.

You can also run defrag after deleting all rubbish you find in the TIF and Temp folders.
It's also a good idea to clear your HDD once a year and have a fresh re-install of Windows. But do make a complete backup!!!

Success

I only know PS6 (a bit that is), so I can't really help with version 5.

About the memory setting for the tablet: Win automatically allocates memory to the hardware, so there is no setting like there is one on the Mac.

ToXin

Thanks for the in depth list of things to check Erik.

I do semi-regular disk maintenance, about once every 2 weeks, and I'm also running Norton's Crashguard which is saving my work from being lost most of the time.

I'm going to go through the suggestions made by you all again, carefully, from the beginning and try to nail this. :perfect:

rosebytes

Rose here on Windows but I am still on 95 with Intuos 2 pen and 4D mouse via parallel. I don't think I can help much but I had a very difficult install...had to attempt installing 6 or 7 times before it would go in and stop saying "unable to install".

I have always blamed that initial install for the freezing problems I still sometimes get and so have to agree with Erik about the initial software install causing problems. When I turn the computer on I see the Wacom load in then quickly disappear then load in again...sometimes it tries to load in a third time and when this happens (which is at the exact time my scanner is loading in) the computer freezes up and I have to turn it off and then on again.
I use my graphics pen for everything and in Photoshop and Painter and rarely have any probs with it freezing but those pen tool plugins have often caused me a freeze up. I pretty much gave up using my 4D mouse as that sometimes will freeze the system...I suspect I have some other conflict going on in addition to the initial install problems but I can't figure it out so just tolerate the Wacom problems for now. I have gotten the latest drivers and even Stu helped me back and forth in email with the Wacom settings...this helped with my having less incidences of freezing but I still have at least a once a week load-in freeze problem.

kiwi

Guru
Hey thanks for coming over Rose,and thanks also for replying Erik :D

Rose Erik is a wizz with Windows maybe he might be able to help us get rid of the Wacom blues for you also :D

Stu.

Erik

Guru
I am not familiar with Win95 but I guess it must have at least as many problems with the system's resources than 98.

System's resources are indeed very limited and installing more memory won't help. The only thing that helps is to let Win start up with as little extra stuff as necessary.

A virus scanner, a crash guard, perhaps some audio software, a "smart" panel from a scanner,...when this becomes too much you get freezes.

Normally, when you install, you should de-activate everything with Ctrl+Alt+Del except for systray and explorer. Or reboot in Safe Mode

In Win 98 you can install a resource controller -the word may not be correct as my Win is a Flemish one- which places itself when clicked on the taskbar. Right-clicking gives you an option to see the data in %. You have System's Resources, User's Resources and Graphic Design Interface resources.
On the taskbar they are green when everything is OK, and red when the situation gets critical. When it gets red, you should de-activate soft in the Start-up panel (Start>Execute>MSCONFIG, the rightmost tab. But be careful not to de-activate the necessary stuff.

rosebytes

Yes Erik just as many problems with system resources and many things you install have the nerve to auto place themselves in startup and I have to take them out.
To check system resources I go to help and type in system resources and then click to display it. It is 90 percent free and I only have 4 things in startup...adobe gamma loader exe, scanner utilities, and 2 different things that say Power Reg Scheduler in them. I don't know what these power reg things are but they sound imp to me and I leave them alone.

ToXin

I'm thinking along those lines myself, now that it had been brought up... my system resources is only 52% free. [stuned]
The thing is, as Rose indicated, I don't know what all these things are (am investigating) so I have no idea which have added themselves that are not really necessary. I've just had a mess with turning off some that I can recognise and got the system resources up to 70% free but I am uneasy about dabbling with this stuff [confused] My PC is a couple of years old so there's a lot of stuff on it now.

To Erik - I've found PowerTools and AdAware so I'll get my download started :perfect:

To Rose - personally I don't have any crashes using the 4D mouse, only with the pen... I'm starting to think that it may be the number of input signals from the pen ( lots of fast touches on the tablet ? )

kiwi

Guru
Because the pen tip clicks when it hits the tablet surface I dont think repetitve strikes on the surface would make much diff ToXin ,you can however check it in your Wacom control panel under double click in the options window which pops up when you select your pen :) and from there try different gaps between clicks and see if it makes it any better :)

It sounds more to me like your system is being starved somewhere as tablet only probs usually centre around erratic pen movement,sliders sticking to pen etc,things like that.

Stu.

rosebytes

My severe initial mouse problems were due to Win 95 and having to have a serial tab...would have been nice if Wacom put the additional readme files on their site or on a paper in the box with it instead of my having to access them later on the cd to see what went wrong.

After that I was making the mistake of leaving the mouse on the tablet when it was not in use and you are not supposed to. Also the mouse seems more sensitive to close proximity to the monitor than the pen does...something about screen resolution and refresh rate stuff. Wacom says keep the tablet at least 12 inches away. If I had to do it again I would have gotten a smaller size tablet.

Stu if you are reading this I finally got my pen tools working better (some of them were conflicting with my matrox millenium graphics card). Anyway I am looking for info or suggestions on how to use them...I didn't find anything on Wacom's site or in the online manual about them.

kiwi

Guru
Rose the pen tools are cool :)

Metal leafer is for applying gold leaf and silver to objects,it does this very well.

There is a distort filter as well hich I felt gave me as much if not more control then the liquify filter.

There are wood and stone filters with which you can scale and paint rocks as you go.

The airbrush will let you do things like make patterns and spray them I think....it was something like that :)

Cant remember if there are any others,but I used to use them quite a bit :)

Stu.