What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filters Ps native filters turning photo to black and white

phickey9

Color mode is RGB; foreground and background are black and white, respectively. I tried applying the filters with the background locked & unlocked, converted to smart object and not, and on the original layer and a copy. I cannot figure out what is causing this - please help!

Hello and welcome.

Which filters? Please be specific.

Hello and welcome.

Which filters? Please be specific.
Hi! Literally every single filter in the filter gallery. I know some are supposed to produce a black and white effect but even the ones that should work with color are coming out black and white.

Try resetting the preferences file.
It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS.

Close an restart Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Try resetting the preferences file.
It cures a lot of strange behavior in PS.

Close an restart Photoshop and immediately hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS X).

Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

This didn't work :/ thanks for the suggestion though. I have no idea why this is happening it's never happened before...

Is it in black and white when you start? Or does it only turn black and white after you apply a filter? Is this with all documents or just on one?

I'm starting with colored photos and it's becoming b&w after I apply the filter. And it happens will all files. I pasted a before and after applying the dry brush filter.

1635265112120.png 1635265174302.png

Can you show us what you have in the filter gallery by double clicking here.....
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 12.10.57 PM copy.png

This is what I would like to see.
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 12.10.24 PM.png

A fast way to make progress in this issue would be to share the psd file for examination by forum members. If too big to post on the form directly using a file sharing site would do it.
just a suggestion
John Wheeler

Back