What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS perspective grids

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronmatt

Guru
http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/4505/pers2dk.jpg

Might help for doing perspective. A totally adjustable grid I use it a lot.

you must build this on a transparent background. I save mine in a PS tools folder for when I need it. Anything you do using the grid MUST be on a new layer.

That was a wonderful tute, Matt, and I thank you.

For those that use CS2, you can create your perspective grids using the Vanishing Point plugin, just do it on a blank layer. Create the perpective grids, and hit Alt(Opt)/OK and the perspective grid dumps onto its own layer.

Sorry, but I'm not impressed.
Normally, if you want to use mathematical perspective, not only the lines of the grid should meet at the vanishing point on the horizon, but the diagonals of the squares should do the same, namely meet in one point on the horizon line.
A random shortening of the piece of grid is either sheer luck or a hazard.
I guess one should add a layer, define a horizon, vanishing point and diagonal meeting point and then distort the gird untill it fits.

Nice tute ronmatt. :D
Sync, I didn't know that [innocent] Thanks.

Along the same lines..
If need a grid in perspective to use as a guide..I use a pattern fill.

example:
Make a new transparent page 20px x 20 px
use a hard pencil brush set to 2, color green.
Make a line along the left and bottom of the square. (see attached)
Go under edit / define pattern and name it Green Guide.

Now if you need a guide simply make a new layer go to the paint bucket / fill pattern and select the Green Guide. Now fill empty layer.
Simple use the transform / perspective to get it the way you need it.

Lasa

I'd certainly like to clarify one thing. I'm not here to impress anyone. But I certainly know how to set a simple 1-2 or 3 point perspective. Vanish points and horizons are a given. I have a 21" moniter. It is fairly impractical to set a vanish point that may be miles away from the subject.
(although it can be done mathematically). The grid is simply somewhat of a 'shortcut' if you don't have CS2 or Freehand. If you're illustrating say, a wall tith a window in it, in perspective, it works just fine.
This illustration shows how to plot a very simple 3-point persp. grid.
Thats a lot to go through to get a simple angle.

That tutorial does not explain this. Perhaps you know about exactly how to calculate the width of the rectangle in your square/grid, but most people visiting this forum don't.

Why do you identify with a tut by someone else that isn't complete?

Nice clarification ron; although i don't think it was really necessary. ;)

I certainly got the impression that your tute was a shortcut of sorts for those without CS2.

Erik is just being anal. :p :rofl:

[Why do you identify with a tut by someone else that isn't complete?]What does this mean?

anal from analytical I hope?

ok. this is my last post here as I seem to be wasting my time.

when you take a look at images A and B on that tutorial, you will notice that the squares in A have become rectangles in B.
proof: the height of the first row in B is larger than in A while, due to foreshortening, it should be smaller (less).

To get squares in perspective you have one and only one exact relation between height and width. You can not get this by simply making that square grid shorter the way you fancy.

This tutorial is not serving its purpose. And giving half-hearted solutions is not the purpose of QT&T forum.

Yes, I certainly do see your point, and obviously you're correct. I should qualify the purpose of the grid. As an illustrator, not an engineer or draftsman, I occasionally need to illustrate an object that has the appearance of depth. In photoshop, which is for all intents and purposes a 2d app, I had a need for a guide to be used primarily for shading and for angles. I came up with this, it works for me and I'm a damn good illustrator. I was sharing that and it's valid. It's not a CAD tool. It's a guide. However, if you're so offended by it, by all means, I'll remove it. No skin of of my teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back