What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS Won't Open????? Help

Lee

Guru
This is strange. I went to use PS this morning and when I dbl. click on the icon the program start window opens, I can see PS loading all the stuff in the line that reads "scanning for..." and then it just closes when it's finished loading. I restarted the computer. Tried again and the same thing happens.

Only two things happened since I last used PS. One, it automatically updated itself from Adobe that last time I used it and two, I updated Win XP from the "critical updates" Microsoft website.

Any suggestions? Should I just uninstall and reinstall the program?

THanks

:( Not nice!

I'm no "techie" Lee, but if I were in your shoes a "reinstall" would be my next move! :B

But wait for a tech guru to advise you... ;)

If PS worked after the update from the Adobe site then XP must have changed something, so I would think remove and reinstall PS. If PS opens ok then get the PS update again and see if it works. If it doesn't then remove and reinstall PS but not the update.
(By which time someone else might have another suggestion...)

I would suspect XP rather than PS as, judging by comments on other sites, XP still has a few problems to sort out.

Neeeever mind. I uninstalled and reinstalled PS. No help. It did the same thing. That obviously meant it was XP and probably my last update (although PS did work after that update).

Anyway, I finally just used my Drive Image program to restore my entire hard drive to where it was a week ago when I last backed up my sysem. PS is back working fine.....now I just have to use my CD's to reinstall all work done since last week. [upset]

Oh well, life goes on and my PS is working again. It's become my life lately. Take that away and I go through withdrawl. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions, "ya'all."

ummm Lee [shhh] XP has a system restore where you can sorta turn back the clock type of thingy on your system he he he...... I have only just installed XP and found this........ it doesn't unistall your program where you have to go through and reinstall everything he he he ;\ just thought you might want to know this for future events...... still learning XP myself.......... it is all so weird [confused]
sfm

Thanks Sue. I know about that feature in XP. I don't think it restores your hard drive, however. I think it's just the registry. Either way, I have a program called Drive Image and two hard drives in my computer. I just make a complete copy of the main hard drive every week or so just for these kinds of problems. The only thing it does not cover, however, is anything you have added since the last main backup. To cover that I backup all new material on CD's every couple of days. Drive Image does a GREAT job of getting you up and running again, it's just the hasstle of then restoring all your personal files from CD's.

Anyway, the main reason I left the earlier post was just in case PS was having problems (bugs) that I should know about before I restored everything.

;) So glad to hear that you're back on track Lee!

I haven't had XP that long myself but I love it. I've never (fingers crossed) had a REAL problem! And, thanks for the reminder about Drive Image! [shhh] It's been a while since I've done that... ;\

Actually Lee it DOES restore files. :)

That's why it sucks up (reserves) a good 700-1000MB of space; when it's turned on. The registry is only about 18MB.

If you're NOT going to use this XP feature, then regain some valueable HD space and either turn it off, or turn the 'used space' setting slider way down to a couple hundred meg.

And so you guys know too... the Win Restore app can be assigned to specific and individual drives. You may not have a reason to have it backing up a certain drive, so turn it off just for that one if you want to.

And also Lee & any other XP users...
If you installed the XP SP1 from MS's site, then i believe you're in for some ugly surprises. I highly recommend XP users do NOT install the SP. Pretty much every Windows Help site i've been to has warned against this. And even MS has a few words for certain people about it.
If you did install it, go back to the Win Update site or look in your "Control Panel/Uninstall Programs" applet and see if you can remove it safely.
This SP has been widely know to completely cripple a lot of systems.

theKeeper said:
If you installed the XP SP1 from MS's site, then i believe you're in for some ugly surprises. I highly recommend XP users do NOT install the SP.
Mark is right, but only if we're talking about upgrading existing systems. Also, I've installed numerous service packs since the introduction of Windows NT 3.5 and I can assure you; there are always glitches, but in general they cure more than they destroy.

There are two ways to use the service pack;

a) update an existing system
b) use an XP system CD that already contains SP1 (slipstreamed) to install a new system

a) can cause trouble
b) is creating a system that is more stable than XP without SP1

Thanks Mark. That's interesting as I thought XP just backed up the registry.

As to SP1, I downloaded and installed that months ago. No problems. I was running the demo version of SP7 for 30 days, my version of SPE2 and finally my SP7 that I got about two weeks ago. No problems at all until this morning when PS would not open.

As I mentioned. the only thing I did do was recently install one of MS's "critical update" service packs. Matter of fact I installed their two most recent ones just two days ago. That MUST have been the problem as that is the only thing I have installed recently.

L

Imo there is only one reason to go for XP, and more specifically the Pro version of it, and that is hyperthreading. But that is only necessary if you happen to have a P4 3.06GHz, or another CPU and mobo(chipset) that support it. Otherwise, Win2000Pro is prefereable.

A complete explanation on how to slipstream can be found at: (thanks, Gauss: if you hadn't mentioned this technique, I would never have known it!)

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?object=article.cfm&id=160

and many, many interesting tweaks at www.tweakxp.com

It seems as though I have the same problem as Lee however, I do not have a backup and so, what it the solution to making photoshop run after reinstalling, and system restore fails?

Back