What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS7 and plug-ins?

Well I finally installed PS7. Everything is working smoothly no problemos. Now I'm thinking about my dear plugins, am I going to be able to install them with same ease.

I have heard ppl say they have had problem installing plugins. I have a few favorites (some are shareware:) and some I paid for:( ) and before I start trying to move them over, I was wondering what kinda problems I might encounter that could be avoided? Any one had experience with this.

I was thinking about just going into Windows Explorer (win98) and dragging them over....good idea or bad idea?
What?

Joy

Joy
An expert I'm not and a very light contributer to this forum I am, but I always right click drag and copy files. If you are finding problems then nothing is lost. Keep the transferred items in the old location till your completely sure all is well.:perfect:

Tim

Joy, I installed my plugins in a separate folder in C: called "plugins", everyone neatly in its own subfolder. Then I made shortcuts to every subfolder. (you can make as many as you want). Now when you place this shortcut in PS7 plugins folder, they open just like as if they were really installed over there. The advantage is that you can make another set of shortcuts for Fireworks, Painter, or whatever app you also use. And your HDD stays well organised: just open the plugins folder and you immediately see what you have.
About plugins in 7: only the older ones seem to have problems. Unfortunately KPT3 is problematic as it can freeze PS (or better: vice versa!). But there is a workaround.
Or you can keep 6 for your plugins and keep 7 unspoilt...???

Plug-in plug-ins oh my

Eric: good idea about C:/plugins.
How do I make a shortcut in PS7 to look in c:/plugin location? I can't figure out how to do that. Preferences?

I don't have the KPT3 and most of my plugs-in are new so that is good news for me Eric.

Thanks Badhrt I forgot about copy technique. AND in response to being a light contributor, please participate more in the forum if possible. Everyone here wants to help all members, so don't be shy, put it out there. I'm sure you've noticed, many people post 3 and 4 times on one subject. There is no one answer to a puzzler in art.

Thanks again Guys.
Joy

The way I do it it as follows. Let's say I have KPT6. Then I install KPT6 into a folder named KPT6 inside the Plugins folder (I make all the subfolders for each plugin before I install). Then I rightclick on the folder called KPT6 and choose Make shortcut. This shortcut I place inside Program Files>Adobe>Photoshop6 (or7)>Plugins. And when I open Photoshop, the plugin is there.

You can also open Photoshop, go to Edit>Preferences>Plugins and Scratch Disks and checkmark "Additional Plugins Directory". You the go to your plugins folder (or the one in PS6) and restart PS. Normally they should all be there. I didn't do that, so I can't guarantee it works flawlessly. I know for example that in 6 you had to install a gig plugin. In 7 you don't, and I don't know how that will work out.

Hi if you look at the image below I have done what Erik suggested last of all
this meant that I didn't have to reinstall everything and the plugins that don't work in PS7 will produce a message to let you know on start up
one of these days I am going to sort it out but for now everything works fine - so why am I going to sort it out? because when I go to the filters/artistic I have 2 of everything! still it all works I just wanted to keep PS7 free of plugins if I could :\ resist :rofl: ha ha ha
sfm

Ahaa excellent you guys - I knew there was a reason I was hanging around here.

This is a great plan. And I now see Sue how it works with preferences.
I owe you two a lot of thanks for being there.

I hope lots of readers benefit from these examples.
Joy

Back