What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSD file format question

resistance

this is kinda technical and I just wanted some input from you guys. I haven't researched this much but...

the PSD file format is really large but it is great source and enables abilities that nothing else can. Such as my previous post about having OVERLAY layers with transparent backgrounds,

I would assume that PSD is a photoshop only file? Anyone know of another program that uses it? Lets use the SWF (Flash) file format is open and used by many programs just not Macromedias.

With some good programming could we use the PSD file as an actualy straight image file. For example: We create an image with overlay layers with a tranparent background and write a port for the file and use it in applications?

My application would be this "Would it be worth it" "Can you think of any side effects" to making a port for the PSD file fomat to work in a 3D engine. JPG, TGA, PNG they are all so limiting as what you could do with a PSD format. I seriously doubt this but is PSD a licensed file format able to be purchased? Realisticly if its possible it could bring a next level of graphics to the gaming world "as long as it didn't crush the performace"

Again I didn't research this I didn't approuch my gaming team about this I just wanted to know how you guys feel about it.

Actually, many applications can import PSD files with layers. A few that spring to mind are: Quicktime, Painter, Bryce, Adobe LiveMotion (which can export in Flash format). I'm not sure about the Flash application itself; might want to check with Macromedia. Each app translates the layers into its own format; for example, in LiveMotion, the layers become "objects."

However, when you save the file in these programs, they are no longer PSD files (obviously). But (I think) your point is that you can use the advantages of the original psd file to build something else in another program.

As far as viewing on the web, depending on what you want to do either Flash or Quicktime might be your best bet for gaming. Both are well supported, as you probably know.

Actually AC I would have our coders just make a "port" to directly include .psd into the game engine.

When you see a HUD in games its usually a TGA file... I wanna have it call a PSD file directly and get all the benifits. I was wondering if that is possible? If these applications do it it could be possible? but also if it DOES work what kind of performance hit would the game engine take.

I know I am asking a lot just wondering ;\

Ah! Porting directly is something you'd prolly need to ask your programmers about, and you'd need to check with Adobe about any licensing. It IS their format, so I'm pretty sure there would be some form of licensing.

Back