What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSD file size

Hudson

Hi All. I'm interested to know if it's possible to have Photoshop remove the Hi-Res preview that is included when saving a PSD file. I have added a solid white layer to the top of the layers panel and this reduces the file size by only having the white layer as the preview. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Hi Hudson
If you don't want the flattened preview for the PSD file, you can save it without that preview. That is under File Handling in Preferences and chose the option to either Ask if you want compatibility (which means to add the flattened preview) or set it to "No" so it never saves the preview

Pretty sure that would help yet you'll know for sure if you give it a try
John Wheeler

Make-PSD-smaller.jpg

Thanks John. Much appreciated. I did the preferences change and the file size dropped from 439 MB to 417 MB (saving 22 MB).

Be aware that many apps (even Adobe's own Lightroom Classic) cannot open PSD files which are saved this way.

Be aware that many apps (even Adobe's own Lightroom Classic) cannot open PSD files which are saved this way.
Thanks @lumigraphics but I don't use Lightroom because all of my editing and creative artwork is done in ACR and Photoshop. Everything Lightroom does I can do in Photoshop and ACR, so I have no need for Lightroom. If I send a PSD to anyone, it is sent as a complete PSD so I have no issue in that regard. Cheers.

Back