What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PSG CHAT ROOM POLL.......

PSG CHAT ROOM

• Yes, We Want To Chat!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, We're cool this way.

• I'll have to ask mom first.

• Total voters

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Mark gave me the go to post this.

A CHAT ROOM.

Do we need it or not? This was an idea thought about some time back but not given the nod. Reason being because of member?s time zone differences as well as the management of chat room activity.

I made notes and noticed that everyone seem to be engaging in real time messages now and then within threads ( I do sometimes ), most especially if online at the same time. And I guess the private message lines must be hotter than the Batphone during peak surfing hours. Morning, noon or night, there are members and guests online. In fact, those whom I don?t expect to be there during my late evening to morning time visits are online.

Many advantages to a chat room can be derived. Notes can be conferred between knowledgeable members and others regarding important, need-to-know topics on the spot. One does not have to wait for delayed reply telecasts. Even the passing surfer could be enticed to register if he wants to join in for a chat. This will encourage members, new and old as well as guests to stay on and participate more in the forum activity. I bet half of the members in the forum, if not more, do not return. We need a tool to entice people to return.

Logistic and Time Zone problems? It?s not a problem. The Chat Room can foster tighter bonds of friendship and one-on-one learning. Let members within their locale confer among themselves if they wish. The moment will come when they would join in with their counterparts from a different hemisphere. When the moment is right, the Chat Room can fill with a participant from each time zone. Is this not in keeping with the forum?s goal of providing a niche in the internet for every race in the world to discuss the common interest?

It may be cumbersome one day most especially if 10 members or so are chatting at the same time. God, I can?t imagine OZ, Kiwi, Sfm, VP and the rest of Keystone Cops in there ? total pandemonium. I?m sure future fixes can lead to the capability to create rooms for selected topics. Web view cam? A possibility with great potentials for the forum. But with our population now, that is an idea reserved for the future. Who knows?

But let?s talk about now. Let your voices be heard. What do you say?

SHOULD WE HAVE A CHAT ROOM IN THE FORUM or not ?

I tend to think that the message board is just fine...gives ya some time to think before posting and thus is less likely to digress because someone takes something wrong and immediately types something back without thinking and totally regrets there after.

Besides, the chatter in the threads gives us something to read daily like... :) nothing worse than logging on to a forum only to have no new posts for that day showing....boring... but, but...everybody was having a great chat....poof, I'me off to check out some other forums, take in some worx, read at my own pace some new tut... bla bla, I digress :D

and ya know what, every minute ya spend on chat, is a minute your not on the forum or contributing through getting down and creating some funky thingie...yea, yea, you can do both and or all three at once...maybe some of you can work with small open windows and the like, but not this kid... KISS is the order of the day IMHO.

I agree with Gidgit.
I'm not much of a chatter, and there are always private messages that you can send to people who are online with you.

Learning, questions and tips should be for everybody or handles by e-mail.

My idea.
But that doesn't have to be anyone else's.

Chat Room Idea

The idea of a chat room sounds interesting.

Altho I am not much of a chatter myself neither, heck, I rarely use the private message feature but I think a chat room would be a nice and a different feature for sure. The advantages of a chat room would be to get to know other folks here better, get some quick answers to daily computer, PS or other problems, have a casual time or highly technical, philiospichal time too if you want and some more interactivity.

I dont think a chat room should be where you should grab your pen and paper and take notes like in a classroom. For the ideas, long, detailed techniques, challenges and other stuff, we have the forums where you can think all you want before one decides to reply or post.

In my opinion, the chat room has to be highly moderated. Either by moderators or via bots to prevent unwanted behaviours.

Altho I voted yes for the idea and say give it a try, its totally up to the admins/moderators to decide if a chat room is worth the time, money devoted to set up one just to "give it a try"

I must agree with Erik and Gidget ion this, I think if we had a chat room there would be a lot of good info and tips missed by the people not in the room at the time. As it is now all of the info is here for all to use at their own pace, and is there so that we can refer back to it ata later time.
My thoughts

Well I have to ask my mommmmmy first :rofl: :rofl:

Although a chat room is neat and it is nice to say hi to everyone it could take from the board as others have said but then it could add - can go 2 ways I have seen it as we have run other boards that had chat rooms set up - boy they are a pain in the [confused] to set up he he he

My thoughts are yes it would be nice (actually he he he comical he he he) but we have the oportunity to email people through the board, have private chats or you can organise with someone to go to a chat room else where in the cyber world so I don't actually think that the board needs it at this stage

They have to be moderated what for? slander language bad mouthing etc it is easy to hurt someone's feelings with a press of the keyboard I have experienced this myself only I am too old to throw tantrums so sulk instead he he he We don't know everyone out there in cyber space so can't guarantee grace and respect for each other - trust me there are real loopy's out there!

When you concider how much the moderators of this board have put in for all of us I feel as though I couldn't possible ask them to do this as well

So that is why I have to ask my mommmmmy first - but she is not here........ any one seen my mommmmmmy? he he he
sfm

yaaaaaaaaa what happened to my post?

what I said was that if we had a chat room I would definately use it! he he he
chatterbox sfm :perfect:

I am just going to go with the flow on this one :)

Oh ya Mom said I can if I want too,but I have to walk the Komodo Dragon first and do the chores as well [confused]

Stu.

Truthfully, I haven't voted yet either. I asked my mom and she had to ask her mom. :rofl:

Interesting to read the minds of others. I'll wait for Marks's vote as well as the other main residents before I cast mine.

Moooommm......

vee

Actually?...

I'm not voting on this one.
I'm "theKeeper"... i'll wait to see what majority has to say, and decide. Then i'll make a decision myself, based on what people would like. I'm open and willing to make this community into whatever the users of same wish it to be, or evolve into -- so long as it's graphics related. ;)

So keep the thoughts/votes coming for now.

Chat Room response

I like the idea so my vote would be "Yes" Some will use and some will not. The biggest problem with chat rooms is that they are too big for meaningful exchange of ideas.

This is a small group, I notice there are many times when I am the only one on the site, so chatting should be calm. I use IM with webcam and mic alot. I talk to ppl all over the world and its very interesting. If you don't vote for chat rooms maybe you could allow people to post their IM URL for chattings. Yahoo's transfer files function is very fast and convenient to use.

Joy ;)

I'm not much of a chatter but I do occasionly find myself exchanging IM's through MSN, Yahoo, etc. I have mixed feelings about it because I know that on several occasions I had wished that we had a chat room but since I frequently read posts during working hours, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to engage in chatting. My J.O.B. (Just over Broke) wouldn't appreciate it. Ohhhhh Mommmmmy!

Rich

Hi Rich :D

Ya Rich it also has that putting temptation in our way aspect eh :D ,very easy to spend an hour or so chatting without realizing it until you look at your watch.

Stu.

Well there are times that having that one on one real time comes in handy for sure. But I think that short changes the reason for the board. Any help you give someone will most likely benefit someone else at some point. It is great to have the posts to refer to for help. I figure we all have AIM or Yahoo if we wanna chat. That is just a newbies perspective....[stuned]

huff ........puff [saywhat] found her mum will let me after the dishes are done and the rubbish are out then she said I can talk to myself as long as I like he he he [confused]

cool I can argue with myself about how much noise I add :rofl:

sfm

Any more voters? Mark, what's the deadline for these things?

Personally, I had reservations doing this poll. But since I started the ball rolling by asking around and checking with Mark, I don't want to go back on my word.

The cons that many has said here is true and came as an eye-opener for me. And private messaging and email has worked for a lot of us here including myself. My idea of a chat room was for people to use it as a tool for learning as well as friendly banter. But it depends on how other people uses it. If used properly, it's to the forum's and member's advantage but if not, and sadly it is the case in most other forums with c. r.'s, it defeats the purpose.

Such unfortunate that a tool such as this sometimes go to waste. I like visiting chat rooms but sometimes, the discussions I encounter are not to my liking, morally and intellectually. I was thinking that with a chat room here in PSG, the trend would be different. This is because I find that everyone here are mature, decent and respectful.

My vote is yes. But.... owing that up till now it was a close race, I still leave it to you, Mark, and to your main moderators to make the final call.

dv8

your quiet right that it could be a powerful tool and with the mad bunch we have here it could be a good thing to have although we are all on different time zones here but it could be a great learning tool

perhaps the answer is to try it and see how it goes once abused then the plug can be pulled :\
sfm

people dont like to vote i reckon.. there are 176 members as of today and there are only 9 votes!

Ya... let's let this thread float-on a bit longer then folks. No real rush about this. Let's give some more time for more members to respond.

Hi all! It's been a bit since I found some time to come over and play. Oh yeah, I voted too. Don't really see a necessity for it, but if it was there I would use it. Just my 2 yen worth.

Back