What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about adjustments vs adjustment layer.

EmmaJohannes

Can somebody please put me straight about "ImageAdjustments/brightness/contrast" vs "Layer/New Adjustment Layer/brightness/contrast"

I just joined the group so sorry for asking this question so quickly on entry but its bugging me.
I'm working through some tutorials on Photoshop and whenever the tutor adds an "New Adjustment Layer" it comes with a "mask". On my copy of Photoshop CC 2020 21.2.2 there is no "mask" being added so what is the benefit of using the "New Adjustment Layer" over just a plain "adjustment" e.g. image/adjustment/brightness-contrast" as compared to "Layer/New Adjustment layer/brightness-contrast"? As it stands I have to add the "mask" manually for it to work. Has the "mask" been done away with on the latest version of Photoshop CC 2020? Or have I missed a setting somewhere along the line?

Your help would be much appreciated. Thanking you in advance.
Emma
ps. I am on a Macbook Pro 16 running the latest version of Catalina should that make any difference.

Adjustment layer is non destructive method. An adjustment layer can affect all the layers beneath or just the one. Hope someone explain in details.

EmmaJohannes

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I was aware of that but for some reason I wasn't getting the "mask" showing up on creating a "New Adjustment Layer". I have since found out that I needed to tick the "set mask as default" in "properties" for the "mask" to show.
Had been hitting my head against a brick wall for a couple of days. All solved.
Thank you

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When you go to Image > Adjustments > Brightness & Contrast you are adding a one time adjustment to a single layer that can not be edited. It's considered to be "destructive".

When you use Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Brightness & Contrast you are adding an adjustment layer that comes with a layer mask and can be edited. The adjustment layers can affect all layers below or clipped to one layer below or to a group of layers. The associated layer mask offers the ability to apply the adjustment to specific parts of the imagery in the layer or group to which it's clipped. As EvilN pointed out, this is what's called "non-destructive" editing.