What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question About the Hand Tool

Rich54

Guru
After all these years you'd think I would know this. If you view this video starting at the 2:00 mark, he uses the hand tool to reposition the image on the screen. I'm not talking about moving the Layer Styles window, I'm talking about how he moved the image itself on the screen.

In my experience, the hand tool only works when you've zoomed-in to the point where portions of the image are off the screen. But in this video, the image fits well within the screen, yet he is able to reposition it. How does he do that?

(Possibly my problem is that I have an old version of Photoshop (CS5) which simply cannot do this.)

Thanks
Rich

puraidodes

I think you might know bout it without even realizing it. It's just the 3 Screen modes when you press F.
1- Default is Standard Screen mode
2- Press F for Full-Screen Mode with Menu Bar
3- Press F again for Full-screen mode

So, when you are in 2,3 this is possible with the hand tool.

(Possibly my problem is that I have an old version of Photoshop (CS5) which simply cannot do this.)
I have CS5.1 as well. But did you try pressing F and doing the same? It is possible in mine.

Last edited:

Rich54

Guru
Yes, that worked! Thank you. I never knew about the existence of the three screen modes or pressing F to scroll through them.

I often access the Full Screen mode from this little drop-down window. I can see now that there is a middle option of Full Screen with Menu Bar, but I never really noticed that before and I never investigated what it did.

1650561599692.png

puraidodes

Yes, that's the one. When the bottom bar disappears(when you press F) you can do that.