What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about using my Intuos4

s1rGr1nG0

Like I mentioned in my other post, I just got my Intuos4 yesterday. If I wanted to use the lasso tool with my tablet and select, for example, someones hair in an image, is it possible to start tracing the outline of the hair and then pick up the pen and continue tracing in another location without the lasso starting over? Does that make sense?
Is there a different tool I should be using for this? It doesn't have to be hair necessarily but that just happened to be the thing I was tinkering with yesterday. I was playing around and trying to cut a pic of my daughter and her friend and put them on a different background but my trace of them was so wide that it looked totally out of place.

Being a n00b sucks!! LOL :)

this has always been a problem with the Intuos4. You can try two things:

Use the polygonal lasso tool instead

or

create a new layer ontop and lower its opacity to 75%

on this layer, choose a hard brush at 100% opacity, and draw ontop of the area you want to select. In other words, paint ontop of the area you want until it's all colored in with your brush (you can use any color). you will still see the layer underneath as the top one is only at 75% opacity.

now, make sure the top layer in the layers pallet is selected, and and just to the right of the little eyeball icon is a little brush icon. hover your pointer ontop of that and right-click. choose "select pixels"

delete the top layer

your area is now selected

it's a little more complex but easier than using the lasso tool

Back