What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question/need help

ClipClapCat

Okay, so I don't know if this is in the right section or not, so feel free to move it appropriately.

Okay, so the issue is that colors (only tested black tho) lose opacity or strength when I disable the bottom layer. Here's what I mean:

This is in Krita (another drawing program):
(with background = looks as expected)
Skärmavbild 2018-04-29 kl. 23.51.42.png
(no background = no change in opacity of the lines)
Skärmavbild 2018-04-29 kl. 23.51.48.png

Photoshop CS6

(with background = looks as expected)
Skärmavbild 2018-04-29 kl. 23.55.03.png

(without background = totally off, color is missing)

Skärmavbild 2018-04-29 kl. 23.55.12.png

Does anyone know why this happens and is there a solution or workaround?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to PSG.

This happens when you don't have the Brush Tools opacity and flow set to 100% or, if you are using a different painting mode other than normal.

The top brush stroke is set to 100%
The bottom is set to 85% but can be built up to 100% with multiple strokes.
Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 5.17.44 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The color is missing because the original colors were added and adjusted with the white BG affecting the color, when the white background is removed, the color changes.

Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 5.38.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 5.39.02 PM.png

Last edited:

ClipClapCat

The color is missing because the original colors were added and adjusted with the white BG affecting the color, when the white background is removed, the color changes.

View attachment 87140
View attachment 87141
I'm using a default hard brush which doesn't have any real buildup for opacity. Also, why are the colors affected by the bg? Shouldn't that be some sort of blending mode or layer mode? Instead of having it like that by default. It just makes the system inconsistent, compared to let's say Krita where layers don't affect each other unless they're set to different modes.

Both programs used a basic ink brush (hard brush) with no opacity (except for edges, but I assure you, I filled the gaps with black), so I don't get why PS works this way.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm faily certain that this is not a Photoshop problem. This is a settings issue.

Several questions.........

Can I see a screen shot of your Brush Tools options bar and the Brushes panel.

Can you post the PSD file that your having the problem with.

polarwoc

Guru
This image is without White BG:
2.png
This image is with White BG:
1.png
My explanation is that in those pixel areas that 'appear' to be filled in the image with White BG above are actually edge pixels with only a percentage of the purple shading. Could be possible that you used a soft brush while shading. With White BG, these pixels form enough RGB value to show a greater percentage of purple, so it appears to be purple while when the White BG is removed, they show their translucence.
In this below image, I went to your "Layer 16" and shaded these areas so the problem is solved.
3.png

While working with so many layers, it is always best to be in the habit of grouping/naming them to save lots and lots of time trying to find something.

Nxxl

If you still can't figure it out (through what IAmSam and Polarwoc have explained), simply try Resetting your Brush Tool. It may solve the problem you are facing.

Capta.PNG

polarwoc

Guru
The OP uses Krita, but the program should have the option of resetting brushes.

In my opinion, it is not an issue with OP's Black outlines. It is an issue with either
1) softness of brush that was used for shading or
2) opacity setting used for shading.

ClipClapCat

The OP uses Krita, but the program should have the option of resetting brushes.

In my opinion, it is not an issue with OP's Black outlines. It is an issue with either
1) softness of brush that was used for shading or
2) opacity setting used for shading.
I don't think it's shading, because I just disabled the colors of the hair and the issue still persists with the lineart.

polarwoc

Guru
I don't think it's shading, because I just disabled the colors of the hair and the issue still persists with the lineart.
I disabled your "Layer 4", which is the line art and this is what is observed. I maintain, it is a shading issue.4.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One thing I noticed is that in checking a specific spot in the purple area with the Color Sampler Tool, the color does not change when the white BG is removed. So the Brush Tool settings, at least when the purple was added, are good. Whomever added the purple did a poor job in covering the entire area. This is also evident throughout the shading/painting process......
Neck
Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 9.50.40 AM.png

I one hundred percent agree that this is a shading problem. The black line work contains consistent transparent areas that are caused by the brush used and it's settings.

ClipClapCat

One thing I noticed is that in checking a specific spot in the purple area with the Color Sampler Tool, the color does not change when the white BG is removed. So the Brush Tool settings, at least when the purple was added, are good. Whomever added the purple did a poor job in covering the entire area. This is also evident throughout the shading/painting process......
Neck
View attachment 87187

I one hundred percent agree that this is a shading problem. The black line work contains consistent transparent areas that are caused by the brush used and it's settings.
Okay, I see what you mean, but I still don't understand how these mistakes become far less apparent when behind a white bg, it's as if color becomes far more opaque than when the bg is transparent.