What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on drawing techniques in PS?

anepu

Hello,

What is a good method to employ when using PS to draw facial features of an animal in this case. To be more clear, I know how to go about drawing the subject but would like some advice from those with experience on how to best draw out a figure in PS, such as techniques for getting curved lines that are not jagged, etc. Have found that the brush tool works well compared with the pencil tool, but I don't have much time in drawing out things in PS and would likle to hear what your techniques are basically for getting a nice looking drawing.

cheers!
anepu

anepu,

In my experience of trying to draw animals, using the pen tool works the best. I would employ that method after you have your shapes set like you have them in your examples above, then using the pen tool to draw out the outside shape. When you have that done, set your pen tool action to subtract to take things out from inside the face to add depth and character to your piece. When you have what you want, "Ctrl+click" on the vector window in the layer, then stroke the path with a brush to give you a nice smooth drawing!

I know that welles or mark may chime in here soon and offer you ways to do it, and frankly they do know more than I do. If any of this makes sense to them or you, then I guess I was right (or at least close!). If not, then they will be able to clear it up for you! :perfect: I just know how to get it done for myself, and sometimes have trouble telling others how I did it!! 8}

good luck -- can't wait to see it done!! 8))

Ok, thanks mflintjer!

Sounds like a good plan of action and I will start on using the pen tool this evening & see how it goes.

Welles & Mark I would like to hear your guys tips as well and the same with anybody else here on the board who wishes to post on this topic.

anepu

I concure actually.

The Pen/Path tools are your best friends in this situation.
Use the vector shape tools too, to lessen the workload.
Make sure in the options bar for the tool you have the fill type set to PATHS ( the middle icon of the 3 on the far left )

:B

You guys are right, the pen tool is great once you get use to using it and makes editing your drawing nice and simple as you progress.

Here is the image I came up with and am pleased with it so far.

cheers!
anepu

Dang! Somehow I missed the start of this thread. That's a fun result (and good advice, too). The Pharaohs would be proud of you!

:perfect:

Back