What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick question about BRUSH TOOL.

wm17959

When I use the brush tool I notice that it paints not only on the selected layer but also other layers. How do I paint so the paint only shows on the selected layer?

Also a somewhat related issue: When I pain on one layer then use blending mode "overlay", some of what I paint still shows up around the outside of that layer.

Maybe there's a good YouTube video that explains all this stuff.

Please advise, thanks.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When I use the brush tool I notice that it paints not only on the selected layer but also other layers. How do I paint so the paint only shows on the selected layer?
The Brush Tool can only paint on one layer at a time, and will only show on that selected layer. Unless your using groups, layer masks, or clipping masks.

Please post a screen shot of your problem.

wm17959

Thanks Sam. Here is a quick screenshot. The rectangle in the middle is a separate layer and the stroke on the left is on that layer. The stroke on the right is on the bottom layer. I thought if the smaller layer was selected then the stroke would only show up on that layer. I have a lot to learn about this I know.

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 8.09.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 8.09.33 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have a lot to learn about this
Yes you do, but that's normal.

OK.........the brush stroke should never go on another layer that already has content. It should go on it's own layer. It should then be masked to other parts of the overall image or layers.

Example:
Here are 2 layers..........a type layer and a white background layer.
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 8.56.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 8.56.15 PM.png

Let's add a new layer and a brushstroke with the Brush Tool.
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 8.57.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 8.57.34 PM.png

If we only want the brush stroke to appear on the type, we highlight that layer, then we make a selection of the type by holding Cmd/Cntrl + clicking on the type layers thumbnail............this will place the marching ant selection around the type.
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 8.59.40 PM.png

Then we go to LAYER > LAYER MASK > REVEAL SELECTION.
This is what we get......
Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 9.01.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 9.01.56 PM.png

You need to know and understand layering and layer masking.

Layer mask tutorials
Photoshop:Understanding Layer Masks

Masks: Editable Selection

Layer Masks

How to use layer masks in Phtoshop

Blending photos together: Photoshop layer mask tutorial

wm17959

Thank you Sam, I really appreciate this! I spent a few hours this evening watching tutorials about layer masks but I still have a ways to go before I have a full understanding of it. Layer masks are a big part of working with PhotoShop and I need to know it because I want to do commercial photography work and combine images together.
Thanks again.