What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radial metal brushing

CanYouDoThat

Hi

I've tried searching for the answer to this, and I always seem to find circular brushing, not radial brushing :)

I can easily do some straight forward metal brushing by adding noise and then motion blur. But now I need to make brushing on a circle radiating from the center and out. I just can't seem to find the right technique to do that. Might be I don't have the correct vocabulary.. :)

Can anyone give me some pointers? :)

Thank you,
CanYouDoThat

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

Very interesting question!!! One that has never been asked. I will have to do some research and testing.

Rich54

Guru
I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, but I'd like to make sure that you're aware of Radial Blur. It's similar to Motion Blur, which you mention above, but it blurs in a radial direction out from the center, just as you describe. Go to Filter>Blur>Radial Blur. There are several settings that you can experiment with, but be sure to check "Zoom" as the blur method. In the image below, I added some noise to a gray circle, made a selection of the circle (so that the blur wouldn't extend past the circle's edge), and then used Radial Blur with the settings shown. You can experiment with the amount of noise to start with, the amount of blur, as well as the Draft, Good or Best settings. This may get you started.

Radial Blur.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
After trying many different things, I feel that Rich's technique is the best.

Here I have added some shadowing and highlighting. (Done fairly fast and can use some tweaking)
Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 4.43.57 PM.png

I opted to use smart objects for adjust ability.
Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 4.46.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 4.47.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 4.47.25 PM.png

thebestcpu

Guru
I prefer IamSam's and Rich's yet thought I would through this one in.
Just created a noise pattern with a vertical motion blur and some tone adjustments
and then used the Filters > Distort > Polar Coordinates
Cut to a circle then did an Overlay blend with a reflected tone gradient.
John Wheeler

Angle-metal-brush.jpg

CanYouDoThat

Hi you awesome guys :)

Thank you so much for your input, I much appreciate it. Looks like I have something to play around with :)

Funny though, I did try radial blur zoom, but it didn't quite look right. The center of the blur was outside the circle and I failed completely in trying to move the center of the blur to the center of the circle :D

But maybe I'll just try in a separate document and play around.

Again, thanks guys :)

Kind regards,
CanYouDoThat

Rich54

Guru
I did try radial blur zoom, but it didn't quite look right. The center of the blur was outside the circle and I failed completely in trying to move the center of the blur to the center of the circle.

Once you've created your noise layer (or whatever it is that will be radially blurred), you then need to make a circular selection around the area to be blurred. That selection will define where the center is located. Once that selection is active, then do the radial blur. It doesn't need to be a perfect circle (although in your case that is probably what you want). The selection can be an ellipse or even a vaguely circular shape hand-drawn with the lasso tool.