What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

raining

Are you open to C&C (comments and critique)?

I ask because it poor etiquette if one offers C&C without being invited by the OP.

The vignette you have causes the eye to focus in this area which leaves the girl out....
Screen Shot 2014-03-01 at 8.48.21 AM.png

And this is the hardest thing to do, but the girl does not look wet.
You could place something over her like an awning that's keeping her dry.

Also, given the actual distance behind the girl, I think the bicycle is a bit too blurry.

It is a nice creation civicesi, though it needs some corrections, and I agree with what Sam said.

The blurry vignette is distractive, and there should be rain everywhere in the picture. The girl is cut out too hard. It needs some work with a soft brush on the layer mask. The hardest part will be to make the girl look wet. Maybe add some "bouncing raindrops" on her shoulder and arms and hand?

I like the idea. What I like is the fuzziness of the bike and how that gives a quality of a rainy feeling. If the model were treated the same way, I would really like the pic. I agree with Sam. I think I would move the model to the left by one body's width. The bike has a painterly, drawing effect, so that Is why I think you might try applying that to the girl and see what you get.

civicesi, I'm not really sure about that center being wrong so to speak. I keep looking at the entire composition and thinking it might be fine. LOL, I usually think I'm pretty clear on composition. I would play wit it if it were mine. Maybe post both?

Anyway, do you think you will make any changes?

The rain would be bouncing at the rate its falling. put bouncing rain splashes on the floor, top left of the models head,left shoulder and some small amounts on the bike, don't over do the splashes just subtle amount and make sue the size of the splashes are not to big. You can use Photoshop's built in brushes to create the splashes... use spacing, shape dynamics, smoothing, wet edges and scattering. When i first did this i search for rain brushes which i used first time, but then got use to Photoshop's brushes and who powerfull they are. I then made rain drops/splashes with them on this image below. Then just change the angle, opacity and did it several times, then used masking to get rid of areas i didn't want.

Extraction.png

Just noticed a problem with shadows. The bike has one, but the girl's is missing. This means she is also missing some bodily and facial shadows. There is so much to consider when you do manipulations. But don't lose heart. Learn and enjoy the improvement of your image as you add and make changes. You'll be amazed with yourself. Ask any one of us how it feels to "perfect" an image!

I worked with the jpeg. I didn't even try to add Sam's excellent effects ideas without the psd. What I did was move the model towards center, add shadows and blur them. (the model might even need a few highlights added because of the ring of light) Blur the model herself and remove some of the blur from her face using the smart object/filter mask. Then I added a slight inner shadow with a brownish color. (ignore the bad cloning please, lol) Just suggestions you know.

Raining.jpg

Last edited:
thanks everyone. All the relevant points are noted. What I learned from the comments is that do be more detailed in the overall execution of all of my projects.

Back