What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Problem & PS CS

ApWizard

Ho well, i bought 2 giga of 400mhz ddr ram (obviously compatible with my new mobo), this is the problem:

if I set over than 1,031 gb of ram in ps preferences it start up very slow and it use a lot of scratch disk...

if I set it under the 1,031 (eg:1,029) all goes perfectly...

so i've replaced the patterns with the default and set-up the memory usage at 80% (it is equal to 1,600 gb) in ps and all work fine BUT

HOW the patterns are responsable of this problem? if I use 1,029gb of ram all ok (with my patterns loaded), if i want to use over the 1,029 gb of ram i have to set the pattern to a smaller set [confused] [confused] [confused]

what is this confusing??????????????? :(| :(| :(|

In fact, first, you need to leave some memory for the operating system...
Then, photoshop uses blocks of memory, called "Tiles" to store the data. The size of those blocks varies with the amount of memory that is allocated to photoshop.
Since the presets are a lot of small files, storing them in bigger tiles takes more room on memory, thus your problem.

I encourage to search on the User to User forum for more info: http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.ee6b366

Thanks Pieree, I didn't know that.
If I get it well, it's like having 1000 peas and one thousand large boxes, and, laying one pea in each box, end up with the idea that all the boxes are filled.

Now this is a real waste!
PS *is* called a memory-hog after all, isn't it?

One should nearly say that they used Win98's memory management...

Back