What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rasterizing

JoeJ

Sometimes I am told that a photo cannot be edited unless it is rasterized. How to rasterize, please?

Can you kindly send me step-by-step directions, not video, please, as I find it hard to follow video tutorials, and particularly to record or memorize them.

I use a laptop, Windows 10, and Photoshop CS6

Thank you beforehand for your help.

JoeJ

Sometimes I am told that a photo cannot be edited unless it is rasterized. How to rasterize, please?

Hey JoeJ

An image that needs to be rasterized is normally a layer that has been converted to a Smart Object, you don't need to rasterized the layer just double click on the layers thumbnail to edit it

Take a look here

You can of course rasterize the layer by right clicking on the layers thumbnail and selecting Rasterize Layer but I what not recommend that if you want to edit the layer again

Untitled1.jpg

Smart Object are smart for a good reason :D

Last edited:
Sometimes I am told that a photo cannot be edited unless it is rasterized.
Joe, where are you hearing this? I don't know of any good reason to rasterize a photo unless it contains vector components and then I still wouldn't do it. It only serves to convert the vector components of an image into a rastor or pixel based image. In Photoshop it's considered to be a destructive process used to combine layers and is only used in certain circumstances. Rasterization usually reduces the image to one flat layer, limiting its editability.

I don't recommend rastorizing at all. There are much better techniques that can be used instead of rastorizing.

Many thanks. Your reply has taught me a lot about rasterising. I am grateful for your help.

Kind regards.

JoeJ

Back