What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re coloring methods help

vetticustoms

Hey all , I'm looking to basically take a hi res picture of a shoe & be able to recolor it without losing the realistic feel of it, any ideas on how to go about this? Would also like to be able to add/blend in a logo design to it

Without seeing the image I would say start with the Image/Adjustments/Replace Color function.

Last edited:
I personally would use the Hue/Saturation tool and slide the hue around to get the color you desire. In terms of blending in a logo it would be handy to actually see both images but using transform and overlay usually works quite well.

blending the logo , I say put logo layer mode in luminosity but as ALB said seeing is worth a thousand words(well sorta he said that) lol

FWIW, the "replace color" tool doesn't work when the original has no color (ie, areas with saturation near zero). Lots of shoes are black, so the OP may be dealing with this limitation more than one might expect.

This is why, like RTC, I prefer using the Hue/Sat tool in colorize mode. Obviously, one needs to have a layer mask that only includes the shoe, otherwise the entire image will pick up that color.

For a slightly different effect, put a solid color adjustment layer on top of the image and set the blending mode to "color".

It's almost impossible to nail the correct color on the first shot -- it always needs tweaking -- so, don't even bother trying to use a brush set on "color" mode, or the actual "color replacement brush". It's much better to use a method that you can easily tweak simply by moving a couple of sliders.

That being said, these two brushes (on low opacity) are great for introducing small variation in the saturation or hue once you get close to the correct values using the other tools. This is tremendously useful for adding realism when re-coloring old B&W photos. For example, shadow, midtones, and bright areas of a specific material in an image, almost always have very different saturation values, and unless you make some attempt to simulate that variation, your re-coloring is always doomed to look somewhat fake.

HTH,

Tom M

hue/saturation, just pentool the object you want to change in color or you can crop the object put it in new layer and use the hue saturation..

Appreciate all of you taking your time to help me out , let me try some methods and i'll post back in a bit. Again thanks all!

Back