What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reducing this texture/noise

icolorize

Hello all,

I have an odd pattern that I'm having trouble reducing. I'm not sure if it noise, degradation from re-saving, or just texture from the original photo as I don't have the original in my possession. As you can see it is most glaring on his suit. Any idea on how to make it a bit smoother would be much appreciated.texture.jpg

Rich54

Guru
This may be some improvement, but there are others here who are better at this than me. Here's what I did:
  1. Copy image to a new layer. Apply Filter>Noise>Despeckle and then Filter>Noise>Dust & Scratches.
  2. Apply a layer mask to this layer to only allow the effect from step1 on the dark areas of the jacket, hair and dark green flowers.
  3. Copy the entire image again to a new layer using Stamp Visible (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E). Convert this layer to Black & White and change layer blend mode to Hard Light.
  4. Sharpen the B&W layer using Filter>Other>High-Pass. Apply a layer mask using the reverse of the mask you created in step2 to sharpen everything except the jacket, hair, etc.
  5. On a new layer, use the spot healing brush to clean up any other obvious imperfections.
  6. Optional step: apply a Levels Adjustment to increase the contrast.
I left a trace of the texture pattern in the suit jacket because it looked too fake otherwise. I'm attaching the Photoshop file so that you can see the effects of each step.

texture.jpg

Attachments

• texture.psd
    7 MB · Views: 2