What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

refine edge undo

alt control z doesnt work for changes made in refine edge , there is no history when using refine edge either so my question still stands

Save your selection so you can start over. Refine edge is a helper for better masks...It can be fooled with poor input You might want to play with Topaz remask it will correct a bit easier, I will still reselect over using refine mask

egosbar said:
alt control z doesnt work for changes made in refine edge, there is no history when using refine edge either so my question still stands

Yes, it does!

When your in the refine edge window, hit cancel or OK. If you hit cancel, the selection reverts back to it's prior state. If you hit OK, then Alt/Option + Cmd/Cntrl + Z will revert the selection back to the state prior to the refine mask input. OR.......you can use the History Panel to do the same thing! So your question is answered.

Or, as Paul stated, put the sliders back to their original position.

Last edited:
its not about the sliders its about when you are using refine edge radius tool to clean up edges or the decomtamination tool etc , i might have it nearly perfect 3/4 done and then it takes too much of the image edge out or i stuff it up somehow and i have to restart over , if you could just go back the one step it would be great , so the question really isnt answered

really cant understand why there is no undo and redo

im actually talking about when you have the refine edge window open in case there is confusion here

with any other tool you can undo and redo your last step , control alt z does not work in refine edge nor does it show in my history panel so i can step back , or am i missing something here

Last edited:
wont be going there , i have all i need in this version , i can use a different app for masking hard masks that have undo buttons
fluid mask 3 is pretty good

was just wondering why they would overlook something so simple

egosbar said:
its not about the sliders its about when you are using refine edge radius tool to clean up edges or the decomtamination tool etc , i might have it nearly perfect 3/4 done and then it takes too much of the image edge out or i stuff it up somehow

Press and hold the Option/Alt key.........notice the - (negative) sign will appear in the refine edge tool. Go back over the area.

Press and hold the Option/Alt key.........notice the - (negative) sign will appear in the refine edge tool. Go back over the area.

yes this can be done but it doesnt always revert to where you were at if you know what i mean , and it also means you have to do it twice , as i said i dont know why you cant undo

Mike said:
Yes, but I don't do it...I retouch my masks

I do the same. Refine edge is limited and is just the first step, I use the RE selection to make a mask and then tweak it from there.

egosbar said:
yes this can be done but it doesnt always revert to where you were at if you know what i mean , and it also means you have to do it twice , as i said i dont know why you cant undo

Yes I understand. I'm just trying to help you out ego, I know how frustrating these things can be! I can't offer any explanation as to why Adobe did not include this feature. Since it's not an option, hopefully you can find another way to help your work flow!

we have no choice to find other ways , just seems a very simple thing adobe have overlooked , im pretty new to ps so i just use the refine edge , ill refine edge make the mask and tweak from there

thanks for your suggestion

Back