What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove Excess Space from Text Bounding Box!?

Magicmango238

I'm new to this and have I'm sure a question with a really obvious answer.. sorry!

When I use the text tool it pre populates with lorem ipsum.. if i change to just 2 or 3 words - it keeps the huge bounding box... so if i try to warp or do anything.. everything is really messed up as it uses the whole half empty box

How do I click and remove all this excess space??

Thanks so much

polarwoc

Guru
Hi there,
Are you referring to Photoshop? I have not seen any version of PS prefilling with Lorem Ipsum when Text tool is selected. Please share a screenshot for better understanding of what you mean.

Magicmango238

Thanks for your help, yes its photoshop 2020

So it populates with lorem ipsum but if I want to edit this the big box remains..

Its not a huge deal, I can get around it.. I just figured there's probably one click I am missing somewhere

Screenshot 2020-01-04 at 17.37.28.png

polarwoc

Guru
My apologies buddy. I have not worked on 2020 yet, but following this link, it is obvious that the box bounding text has Transform nature rather than just change size of the bounding box. This is probably a bug. As per the explanation in the link, while you are editing text, the bounding box size can be changed, while at other times, it has a Transform nature.
Maybe someone who has 2020 can address your issue better.

thebestcpu

Guru
Another thought about this is that there are two ways to create Text.
a) If you initially drag a rectangle you get a square area and that is going to be Paragraph Text (it keeps the big rectangle)
b) If you click in one spot, that is where the text will start and it is called Point text (its bounding box is just around the text)

You can convert from one type to the other by right clicking in the desired Text Layer in the Layers Panel (to the right side of the selected Layer) and in the dropdown you can convert to the other type of text.

Not sure if this is what you want yet thought it was worth mentioning.
John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
Glad that worked for you. :)
Also, if you don't like the pre-fill text, you can turn that off in Preferences. It's a checkbox option under the "Type" subsection
John Wheeler