What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove Tool/Generative Fill Issues

^Photographer

Maybe somebody here has seen this problem.

I will be working on an image and use Generative Fill to remove a cluster of people for example.

Then I switch to the remove tool to remove a single person somewhere else in the image and it just doesn't have an effect at all. I try it several times and it just won't work. I even then tried to remove the person using Generative Fill and same thing .. nothing.

Any ideas?

Then I switch to the remove tool to remove a single person somewhere else in the image
Here, I am assuming you have an image in its "Original Layer" and when you did generative fill, it created its output onto a different layer, lets call it "Altered Layer". So, at this stage, you have "Original Layer" with people and "Altered Layer" with certain people removed. Now, if you are trying to remove more people from another part of the Original Layer,
1) make sure you are selecting the Original Layer
2) make sure that the Altered Layer is not blocking the parts of Original Layer's newly selected people.

It makes for an easier explanation with example at hand. Screenshots of your work and layers panel will help.

Next time this happen I’ll take screenshots and explain what’s happening in greater detail.

It’s strange and happens intermittently. I am on the original later to remove say another person and just nothing happens either using the remove tool or when that fails generative fill which then also fails. Cannot really figure out under which circumstances the problem presents itself.

So, next time it occurs I’ll document everything with screen shots and detailed explanation.

Thanks for helping!

I am on the original later to remove say another person and just nothing happens either using the remove tool or when that fails generative fill which then also fails.
If you are sure that you were on the Original Layer while issuing a Generative Fill on another selection, then the Generative Fill is outputting a new layer with requested selection being removed - but then the other layer from your previous Generative Fill command is probably blocking it from being displayed.

To test it, just turn Visibility of the top most layer off. Now, you should have Original Background at the bottom of the Layer Stack and the newly generated layer on top with that latest selection removed. You should see the person off as expected.

If all above happens as explained, it is just a matter of applying a Layer Mask on the top most layer (your first generated output of Generative Fill) such that the second generated layer shows through.

Sharing a PSD would make it easier to explain.

Thanks for helping!
No worries, glad to be of assistance.

I think you’ve isolated the issue. I’m going to see when this happens again and see if I can use your suggestions.

Thanks for the help!

Well I think I have it somewhat figured out.

When you use Generative Fill and then use the move toll in an area within the Generative Fill area it appears that the object you tried to remove isn't removed. But as you mentions it is covered up by another layer.

To test this as soon as the object I tried to remove didn't go away I moved that layer underneath the background later and the object was gone! So, at least, that is part of the mystery.

And yes, Generative Fill is still in Beta so a lot of strang things are happening. How Adobe is going to sort all this out is a mystery but they're smart and probably have a lot of very smart people working on the project.

After using Generative Fill for the first time, just make sure you merge all visible layers using Ctrl + Alt (Option) + Shift + E, then select this newly merged layer and then run Generative Fill a second time. Then, you will not have issues with another layer covering up a lower layer in the stack.

@polarwoc ... More Photoshop Beta issues :oops:

After the last upgrade to Photoshop Betta 24.7 the remove tool seems to work differently than before when you have the "Remove After each Stroke" unchecked! Previously you could size your brush and then shift click and move to the end of say a telephone wire and the brush still stayed the same. Then when you clicked the check mark the remove tool did it's magic. Now as soon as I click the brush turns into an arrow and then you go to where you want and click again and then click the check mark. Not sure why it's working that way. In the non beta version of PS it still works as the same as it always did. Are you seeing this?

Also I upgrade to Photoshop Beta v25.0 and Lightroom doesn't seem to want to Edit in PS Beta. I get error attached.

Any ideas what I should do to get it working properly again? :cry:

Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 9.29.27 AM.png

Welp…I’ve been reading. Apparently this “edit in” issue is a bug in PS Beta v25.0

I rolled back to v24.7 and things working as expected! :cheesygrin:

Back