What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing backgrounds

sid316

I know this is pretty basic but I used to know a way to remove the background from, say, a logo and be able to place it with another image so the annoying white background doesn't interfere. This involved the use of the magic wand, work paths and clipping paths, not erasers. Does anyone have a simple method?

Hello and welcome.

This would depend on the logo itself. If it's just line work on a white background, you can try something like THIS.

Otherwise, we would need to see an example logo in order to advise you on the best technique.

If they are simply black line art on a white background put your line art on the top layer and set it to multiply your white background will disappear.

Please explain. Do you want the colors removed or the white background removed?

A version of this logo with the white background removed already exists on the internet.

ACCAConference_logo.png

However, any logo (with color) can have its white background removed. The techniques depends on the individual logo. You can use the Magic Wand Tool, Quick Selection Tool, or the Magic Erasure Tool.

I prefer the Color Range and Blend if methods.

in this logo, "Color Range" was used to select the blue.
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 10.15.46 PM.png

A layer mask was then created from the selection and used to remove the white background.
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 10.15.55 PM.png

Or a Solid Color adjustment layer if I wanted to change the color.
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 10.53.17 PM.png

Or........ "Blend If" can be used on multi colored logos.
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 10.21.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 10.21.46 PM.png

Back