What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing colors in a sprite

NoName

Hi,

I have a sprite with a transparent background and 10 to 20 colors. I'd like to remove 15 of those colors for several frames. I'm aware of how PS's batch processing works, but don't know what actions will allow PS to remove the colors I want. I'd normally use the magic wand to remove colors while working on a single frame, but this won't work with automated scripts I think (please let me know if I'm wrong!).

Is there a way to make this work?

Thanks!

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @NoName
It might be easier for forum members to make suggestions if you shared the sprite or a frame of the sprite.
Magic Wand can be automated yet I am assuming that with the sprite where you would need to click the magic wand changes so that is not so straightforward.
There is also the Select > Color Range command which might work yet would require tuning it up to select each individual color correctly
There are other ways that could considered yet might be more specific to the colors being used, e.g. are all the colors quite separated in appearance (no two colors close in Hue and Satuaration), are the colors all consistently solid colors on each and every frame, are the colors bounded by a neutral color (e.g. black) and also what do you want the color replaced with e.g. transparency, gray tone, fixed other color etc.
Hope you see that more details may help provide suggestions
John Wheeler

NoName

Thank you for your reply thebestcpu!

I just realized that I can paste the color palette which includes the colors for removal, into the document, drag it to the top-left corner of the canvas (fixing the coordinates for magic wand) and then deleting each color in the palette one by one. Might be a better way, but this works for my specific case.

I'll keep in mind the point about providing details.

Thanks.

thebestcpu

Guru
Thank you for your reply thebestcpu!

I just realized that I can paste the color palette which includes the colors for removal, into the document, drag it to the top-left corner of the canvas (fixing the coordinates for magic wand) and then deleting each color in the palette one by one. Might be a better way, but this works for my specific case.

I'll keep in mind the point about providing details.

Thanks.
That appears to be a great way. Thanks for sharing.