What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing dust etc.

limey

Power User
I'm working on a black and white picture that has a lot of dust specks and what looks like a faint waffle looking pattern on it.
I tried a tutorial called History Brush for Dust and Scratches by: down2earth2.
I've used it a few times before and it works great but on this particular occasion it isn't working so well.
Once I've completed the tutorial the picture looks ok but when I print it out the waffle pattern comes back and is tinted with a faint redish hue.
Is there another way to get rid of that waffle pattern.
Thanks

Thanks Welles I will check it out and run my picture through the process again.
Hopefully this will solve my problem although I didn't have any trouble getting rid of the dust and scratches etc. with the other tutorial, it was the waffle pattern coming back after printing that was the problem.

Dust and scratch works on somethings, blur/mask, pattern sample with the healing works on works others..can you post the picture at hand?
Lasa

Lasa I'm not sure you will be able to see much after I've reduced it to the size allowed for attachments but I'll try.
The attachment is the original before anything has been done to it, not sure just which you want to see.
I'm afraid I can't show the waffle pattern as it only shows up after I've printed it. It's not really that obvious in the original because of the size, but it showed up in the darker areas like on the pants of the kid sitting in front right and on the dark areas of the jackets of the kids sitting at the front table. The same areas where the dust was removed.
Hope the pic shows up.

Way to small its 47kb it can stand to go up to 100KB can you make it bigger?
Lasa

I don't understand why it is showing up as that size. When I go to Photoshop> Image>Image Size it tells me it is 100.1K pixels.
Is there something I'm not doing right, is there another way to tell the size of the file.

It won't accept 100.1, believe it or not it need to be 100. or less.
Lasa

Ok I'll try it again sorry about this. I've changed it to 98 KB but when I go to Browse to find the file on my desktop it shows it still to be 104 KB. I'm using OS X and Browse brings up the Sidebar>Desktop>then the file at that point it shows a thumbnail pic and the information below it. That's where it shows it to be 104KB. I'll post it any way just in case it is ok.

try making the image 600 px wide.
then use the "save for web" option and use the quiality slider on the right to control the size
see attached.

Lasa

I would use a combination of? dust / scratch first, then? clone / healing / patch tools..you've got a great picture..very clean.

When you use the Dust and scratch are you masking? Otherwise its a mess.
The way dust/scratch works for me is to duplicate the original then run run D/S. When you start D/S set both sliders to R1 / T0 then move the radius slider to the right until the specs started disappearing. Once blurred, then move the threshold to the right until the specs strat appearing again then pull back a little, then ok.(You might be able leave it R1 and T0 don't over do it)

Now click the add vector mask(black sqaure with a white circle). it will add a mask to the D/S layer (a white rectangle to its right) fill the screen with black with the paint bucket. This should reveal everthing, looks just like the original. Now get a small WHITE soft brush and paint over the scratches and marks. They should disappear.

You can actually do the same but substitute the D/S with a slight Blur..use a very low G-blur.

Hope it helps,

Lasa

? ?

Thanks Lasa for all of your patience and your great help. I will probably be back with more questions on your method of masking etc.

limey.

lasa's method of masking is basically the same as that I described for correcting exposure. You do not have to worry about over doing Dust & Scratches on some parts of the image, because you can paint in only the areas that require correcting/cleaning after applying the black filled layer mask.

Sark

Yes Sark, you are right it is just the same. It didn't hurt though to get it drummed into me again though, my original problem kind of got left in the dust (no pun intended).
That was the waffle pattern showing up after printing. I managed to solve that myself though I found it was caused by trying to print out too large a picture. I was trying for an 8x10 but settled for 5x7 and the waffle disappeared.

Yes. Sometimes you just have to accept that there is a limit to the size of print you can get from a file without quality being a serious issue. Particularly with an older image, which in this case I'm guessing was a scan from a print.

Sark

You know the odd thing about the picture was the weird res. and size after I had downloaded it from the Power Point presentation.
It was something like 2.5 x 1.5 at 2000 resolution, any thoughts on that Sark.

Generally speaking, the DPI is of no relevence to displayed images, only printed images. The DPI is just a tag included with the image file. It is used to tell the printer how large the pixels should print.

Images displayed on screen are mapped to the monitor's res, normally around 72DPI. Likewise in PS. It's the number of pixels that determine displayed size, not the DPI. The only exception to this is vector drawing programs, which will display the image according to the DPI. This is why I always import images into a vector app at a multiple of 72DPI (144DPI, or 288DPI etc). This ensures clean display when viewing at 100% zoom.

I've never used Power point so I'm not sure if this works similar to a vector app, but I doubt it. My guess is, the original was scanned from a negative, hence the high res.? There was no need to change the DPI setting because only the number of pixels would affect the size of display in Power point.

Sark

Back