What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing/reducing grain in part of an image

_alexbrandt_

Hello,

So I've got my landscape picture I'm working on. My picture is actually taken on Kodak Gold 200 iso which is a consumer-grade film stock.
I was able to select the sky and apply a gradient to reduce grain.

Now I want to work on the mountain in the background horizon.
Because of the haze and the grain it doesn't look that good.
What would be the best way to smooth that mountain out ?

Thanks !

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 11.56.05.jpg

Eggy

Retired Moderator
First some observations...
- The grain you're referring to isn't grain but the trees on that mountain slope
- Near water and on a hot day all objects on the horizon are hazy due to water vapor

You might consider not going overboard editing a picture representing the reality...

But if you really want to remove the 'grain' and the 'haze' on the selection use the Camera Raw Filter

Dehaze
Untitled-1.jpg

Remove grain
Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:

_alexbrandt_

First some observations...
- The grain you're referring to isn't grain but the trees on that mountain slope
- Near water and on a hot day all objects on the horizon are hazy due to water vapor

You might consider not going overboard editing a picture representing the reality...

But if you really want to remove the 'grain' and the 'haze' on the selection use the Camera Raw Filter

Dehaze
View attachment 94197

Remove grain
View attachment 94198

With all due respect...
Yep, I know these are trees. In summer I road cycle the entire Geneva region like there is no tomorrow, I know the landscapes by heart.
Haze yep, I know well. I'm fine with haze.

I don’t want to dehaze. I smoothed out the sky with the gradient on an adjustment layer currently set at 72%
Because of that change, the texture between the sky & mountain is not matching, which is normal.
So I'm trying to smoothen the mountain's texture to have a better texture transition, otherwise the edit is very visible because of the sudden change of texture between sky and mountain.

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 13.30.45.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What size and resolution is the actual image that your trying to edit?