What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing white border from around logo

basshook

[confused] I am creating animated buttons for my new topsite pages and cannot seem to rid my image of the white border around the logo in both layers. I first used the polygon lasso tool to crop the logo from the original image and pasted it into a transparent background. I then turned it into an animated gif. Any ideas on how to remove the white edges from around the black ring of the logo (see image) I've just about tried everything I can think of. You probably cannot see what I mean with this background, but on a darker background like blue or green it is really noticeable.
see http://guides.bassonhook.com 8))

I hope I have placed this post in the right category.button.gif

heathrowe

You'll need to set your Save Optimized As settings to transparency which you have done, but the next step is to set the Matt (on the right) to None or choose Other and put the color code of that Green thats directly behind your animated gif.

Though, looking at your logo a little more it looks to be more of a defringe whilte halo issue? Meaning when you cut them out (and or transferred them to a new layer) it left a halo around them, and assuming its just two separate layers and a two frame animation....try htis....select the first layer, right - click and choose Blending Options, Outer Glow, and in the Color picker choose the color thats nearest to the inside of the edge, then change blending mode to Color. Repeat for the other layer.

Hope that made sense, course there are others ways to defringe stray halo outlines.

------------------

ok - i opened up your animation in imageready and zoomed in on your two frame animation - your issue can be solved by making a cleaner cut and delete around the parameters with the Selections tools.......

Or if thay scare you to bits, Zoom in as high as you can go 1600%, select the Eraser Tool, then up on the Options Bar Switch from Brush Mode to Block Mode and erase one by one...

cheers
heathrowe

basshook

8)) I will try the tips you've provided as I will have no control over the background color once the banner is placed on an affiliate site. I thought it might be something like a halo effect, but didn't know how to eliminate it as I'm just learning (with the help of Adobe Photoshop 6 Classroom in a Book manual). What do you mean by "delete around the parameters with the Selections tools......."? [confused]

heathrowe

sweet

delete around the oarameters - meaning, that the problematic halo
appears to be all white pixels and the nearest neighbouring pixels is the black stroke around both frames - so you want to protect the black area (parameter or edge).

As in my above include, I went with the Zoom in option, and used the Eraser (with Block Method) and just manually erased those problematic pixels.

hopethat clarifies
:)
heathrowe

basshook

[confused] I have zoomed in to 1600% and tried to remove the white pixels and gray pixels. However I cannot tell if their gone because of the transparency background. The only way I know of to change backgrounds would be to cut out another copy of the logo and paste into a new frame. Then I would be back at square one. Also now the edges are very jagged and I would like them to be smooth. Is there anyway to do this without creating the halo effect? What am I missing, why is this so difficult to rectify?

heathrowe

add another Color Fill Layer - just below the two frame layers - course that color whould have to be a dark one, for contrast - like in my example above, I added the dark green - then deleted the stray pixels

make sure you zoom back to normal size

heathrowe

basshook

8)) I'll try that tecnique. I will have to delete the third layer after erasing so I can keep the image transparent. Will this affect my image? Any tips on how to make the jagged edges smooth. I have tried a few from other posts on this forum, but cannot find one that works good. Thanks for all your help! :perfect:

JessFox

White outline

Sometimes when Im faced with this problem I change the layer type to multiply instead of normal (found on the top of the layers box).. this may affet the color of the image on a dark bg..but it will make the white invisible..

basshook

What is the best format to work with gif or psd
I tried to open the image you created above in both photoshop 7 and image ready to remove the green background and i could only get one layer. Is there a way to use the image you created as an example or is it locked or something
I changed it to rgb in photoshop and then moved to image ready and that didn't work either. It seems no matter what I do I get jagged edges or white edges and both are unacceptable to me for what I want as a button. You however, where able to get what I am looking for so I thought I'd use your example if that is alright with you.

heathrowe

Do not open it in Photoshop.

Have ImageReady open, then File/Open, browse to the location of the saved gif file.

Make sure your animation window is open.
Once opened IN IMAGEREADY, you should see the two frames as well as the two layers....

Then you can Jump to Photoshop to your hearst content, and edit away.

cheers
heathrowe

basshook

It seems no matter what I do I end up with a lousy image so I will go back to the white background. Thanks for all you help, I guess it's just not meant to be.