What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repeating Pattern question

SPWA

Power User
I've made a scale, and I would like to make it into a repeating pattern in PS. Not sure how to go about it though. My brain tells me to place the full scales that will be in the pattern, then chop 1 of them into 4 pieces, and place around the edge to make up the repeating pattern. Like Overlapped scales.

Not sure if I'm barking up the right tree with that process, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Scale.png

Attachments

• Dragon Scale.psd
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
:) That I can do. but I need it go like this, and that's where I'm falling down.

3648625-405709-seamless-pattern-fish-scale-texture-vector-art.jpg

EDIT: I did it by hand instead. Wasn't that bad. But it's a png texture instead of a tileable pattern now. Works the same though.

Last edited:
Damn, I couldn't get it to line up like that at all. Always had slightly off scales around the edge. Any tips you can share on getting it spot on :)

Sam can answer I'm sure, but if you look on the menu under view there are all sorts of guides
Screen-Shot-2013-12-03-at-12.24.48-PM.gif

LOL, it wasn't easy! No worries but this took me almost and hour to get right! Here's what I did, (you can see in the PSD) I first defined the area I wanted to work in which was 200 x200.

I started with one scale and lined it up in the top left corner.I divided the scale as evenly as I could. Then I copied and pasted the scale and moved it to the right corner.

EDIT: Sorry, I posted the wrong photos!!

Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 12.04.32 PM.png

The I again duplicated the two scale, merged them and moved them to the bottom corners.

Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 12.07.24 PM.png

Sorry guys, I'm having a rough time here, I made too many screenshots and I'm getting them confused!

Last edited:
Sorry, someone came to the door! Where was I?

Paul or iDad (LOL!), I tried some guides, and they helped with some alignment to to four corners, in the end I just cleared them.

Last edited:
OK, hopefully back on track!

I then added the middle scale to the top row and centered it. Using the move tool, it stayed in alignment. I then duplicated the three in the top row and added a third scale to this set. (this is where I had the last scale out of alignment) I merged these and had a set of four which I moved down (and over), this is where I was trying to use the guides.

Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 12.10.15 PM.png

I duped the set of three and moved them down.

Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 12.17.18 PM.png

Duped and moved the set of four and moved them down.

Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 12.18.15 PM.png

The hardest part was matching a set of tips for the last set of four to be at the top! I duped the layer of four again and moved them to the top, positioned as best I could and then I made a pattern preset to test the alignment! I did this a few times before I got it right!

Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 12.21.17 PM.png

Back