What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replicate this color toning

MartinB82

Hi all

Thats a little weird, I posted this same question yesterday, but my post seems to be missing? So here goes again, this time a little shorter though :)

I would like to replicate this color toning:

fredmiranda1.jpg

On this image:

amanda.jpg

Can anyone help me with that?

Tom Mann

Guru
Do you want someone to do all the work for you, or do you want to learn how to do this sort of thing yourself, from scratch, in PS, or do you want to know which commercial plugin you should buy to give you this (and similar efx) with the least amount of learning needed?

If either of the latter possibilities, exactly what version of PS will you be using? How experienced are you in PS? (ie, how many hundred images have you worked on in PS in your life?)

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - be advised that if you want someone to do a freebie for you, there is a good chance they will overlay a prominent watermark or make it at a very low resolution, and, as volunteers, they are entirely within their rights to do so.

Tom

MartinB82

Tom Mann
I was hoping to learn the steps in recreating the look. My problem is, that when i use the curves adj layer, I cant seem to get the right "dark-yellow" color in the highligts, and the correct tone of magenta in the shadows. As far as I can tell, when i adjust the blue "channel" to introduce yellow into the highlights, its not the "right" color.
Im definitely not looking for someone to do my work, since I would then end up with a very low res picture, to give my customer ;)
On the other hand, if you could know any software package for photoshop, that can achieve the look, im very interested! Then I would probably be able to deconstruct the result.

Btw. Im using CS6, and have quite a bit experience in using it. I have edited many hundred images, but I have never gotten very advanced. Ive primarily used photoshop in my photography business, and not too much manipulation and such.

sprucemagoo1
The lighting is pretty straightforward, but no, the toning has nothing to do with the recording of the image. The only color control you really have during the shoot, is white balance which can be changed just as easy in post, as in the actual shoot.

Crotale

Power User
First, the skin tones are vary different between the two models, so there is challenge number one. And then there are multiple light sources in the first pic where the second has one visible source of light. Also obvious is the model in the first pic is tan and smooth complected, where the model in the second is fair skinned and freckled.

MartinB82

Crotale
My image isn't made with the intent of looking like the first picture, I just thought that it would be a nice toning to use on my image. Its okay if it doesn't become a precise copy, i'm just looking for at way to make the same general adjustments.

Tom Mann

Guru
I didn't have very much time to play with this, but here's the 1st thing I came up with. To get something done quickly, I threw all sorts of things at the image, so, at this point, I don't think a run-down of my steps would be very enlightening or generalizable, but if it's better than what you came up with, I'll have a look at it again later tonight and try to make my processing approach more systematic.

T

PS - For comparison, why don't you post what you have come up with.

View attachment 41553

Attachments

• amanda_to_be_toned-tjm01-acr-ps14a_8bpc_comparison-02_annotated.jpg
    amanda_to_be_toned-tjm01-acr-ps14a_8bpc_comparison-02_annotated.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 47

MartinB82

I didn't have very much time to play with this, but here's the 1st thing I came up with. To get something done quickly, I threw all sorts of things at the image, so, at this point, I don't think a run-down of my steps would be very enlightening or generalizable, but if it's better than what you came up with, I'll have a look at it again later tonight and try to make my processing approach more systematic.

T

PS - For comparison, why don't you post what you have come up with.

View attachment 41553

Yours is much closer than mine! Ive attached mine, so you can see my "progress" ;) I would love to see what you did to get there! To me it just looks like your shadows are a little to deep, compared to the target, but the colors are close!

pic_0001.jpg

MartinB82

chrisdesign
Yeah, that gives the image a yellow tint, but it kinda fails to produce the magenta shadows. And the color seems more brown in the target image..

kar1zma

the tone ur looking for dosent seem to suit the model because of the skin tone
u may have to try a different tone something that might enhance your model

kar1zma

the tone ur looking for dosent seem to suit the model because of the skin tone
u may have to try a different tone something that might enhance your model

smoke

Power User
easiest way for me

[video=youtube_share;gtSAHXunCrA]http://youtu.be/gtSAHXunCrA[/video]

just noticed that mouse cursor was not recorded :D ups!

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Gradient maps are a GREAT approach to this sort of problem, Smoke!

It turns out that for my demo, I actually used a little program called recolorST by FoksMarx (http://www.foksmarx.com/) that does essentially does automatic gradient maps, and the main reason that I didn't return to this thread to fill in the details was that I was too busy to go back and put together a tutorial based on PS's native gradient map tool, knowing that most people wouldn't want to spend money on another program just to do these sorts of efx.

The only major other effect that I added that I don't think you did was a bit of highlight blooming and shadow spreading to simulate the lens flare and halation effects.

Great job!

Tom

MartinB82

easiest way for me

[video=youtube_share;gtSAHXunCrA]http://youtu.be/gtSAHXunCrA[/video]

just noticed that mouse cursor was not recorded :D ups!

omg

Thanks a bunch! That looks very close to the target! Soooo cool that you actually made a video, showing how you did it :D

Im gonna play with gradient maps at once :D

MartinB82

@smoke

Just at quick question. Did you use the color picker tool when finding the colors for the shadows/highlights? Or did you just guess?