What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Requesting help on improving JPEG photo taken

kuzumi

Hi guys, I would like to request if anyone of you guys have some time to spare to help me in editing this photo to look.. somewhat nicer? I am unsure of what to do.. the two photos shot turned out to be a little disappointing (dull.. or something)

http://imgur.com/fUpdSqv,y8cBcxr#1

Any form of help would be appreciated! I've toyed around with the images in Photoshop but I can't seem to get it right, I believe having a second pair of eyes on this would be a very good thing.

Thank you very much! (To anyone wondering, I'm the guy in red)

iDad

Guru
I would say the picture is fine just crop it to reduce the surroundings, concentrate on the people

Adam McIntyre

kuzumi

Looks ok as is, graduation?
If you want to jazz it up a little with a hipstergram feel, maybe try some free photo action?

http://webelemint.com/free-resources/free-retro-photography-photoshop-actions/
http://webelemint.com/free-resources/free-retro-vintage-photography-actions-for-photoshop/

Give a quick goolge or search on Deviantart and you can find hundreds more free actions that could give you the desired effect you want
Hi! Thanks for sharing! Now I have finally discovered Photoshop Actions, haha! Managed to download one of the action sets, for some reason it seems like the website is having some download issues when I'm attempting to download the second one.. oh well I can always try later!

I would say the picture is fine just crop it to reduce the surroundings, concentrate on the people
thank you for your advice, actually I had already done that but wasn't sure if it was the right decision so hence the original image, thanks for reaffirming!

Here's how it turned out, is it alright? http://imgur.com/UILPu0o any opinions would be appreciated, greatly!

Like iDad said, looks better cropped. And a tiny bit off the sides to conform with the 3000px limit here.

20ux4sg6.png

Tom Mann

Guru
To me, in the OP's versions, the skin tones look cold and the saturation seems generally low.

I would warm everything up a bit, increase the overall saturation, and greatly reduce the extremes of contrast. The latter is particularly important in group photos where there is such a wide range of skin tones (eg, from some of the very pale girls to the very dark skinned guys in the right rear). Each person (and their families) will look at themselves, so you don't want anyone to be either too bright or too dark. My personal philosophy on group shots is that it's better to err on the side of too little contrast rather than too much. To liven things up and bring out the fun and spirit of this group, I also like to have some areas of nice saturated colors.

BTW, 90% of my version was done in ACR (including some lighting gradients + areas where I used ACR's adjustment brush), with the remaining 10% using Topaz Adjust.

If I was doing this for real, I also would have cloned out the signs and the red object at the LH edge of the image.

Tom M

PS - Be sure to double click on the small forum preview image to view the much larger, full rez version. My experience is that people looking at group photos stand with their noses about one inch away from the print to see themselves. Photographers evaluating group shots should do the same.

Attachments

• y8cBcxr-tjm01-acr-ps01a_8bpc-01_full_rez-01jpg-ps01a_PC-01.jpg
    y8cBcxr-tjm01-acr-ps01a_8bpc-01_full_rez-01jpg-ps01a_PC-01.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - Arghhh! I just realized that I haven't re-calibrated my video card+monitor since my GPU died a few weeks ago. I suspect that the my tweak of the above image probably came out too warm saturated if viewed on a calibrated system. Oh well, it's easy enough to dial the colors back and/or add back in some of the original to get the colors right.

T

Tom Mann

Guru
After I realized that I hadn't re-calibrated my system after replacing the video card, drivers, etc., I just did a really fast hardware calibration, and then re-adjusted the colors in this image. I came up with the 1st attached image.

Since someone earlier in the thread suggested playing with various efx, for fun, I added a very mild Dragan effect to the image and came up with the 2nd attached image.

Cheers,

Tom M

Attachments

• y8cBcxr-tjm01-acr-ps01b_8bpc_698px_wide-02_better_color_bal.jpg
    y8cBcxr-tjm01-acr-ps01b_8bpc_698px_wide-02_better_color_bal.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 28
  • y8cBcxr-tjm01-acr-ps01b_8bpc_698px_wide-03_fun_effect.jpg
    y8cBcxr-tjm01-acr-ps01b_8bpc_698px_wide-03_fun_effect.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 25

kuzumi

After I realized that I hadn't re-calibrated my system after replacing the video card, drivers, etc., I just did a really fast hardware calibration, and then re-adjusted the colors in this image. I came up with the 1st attached image.

Since someone earlier in the thread suggested playing with various efx, for fun, I added a very mild Dragan effect to the image and came up with the 2nd attached image.

Cheers,

Tom M
Hey Tom! Thanks for your time on this. I am so sorry to hear that your GPU had died, hope your replacement one is working well! I noticed the first edit being a little bit too warm, too! Thank you for your long in-depth post on the whole group photo thing, will take it into consideration in the future!

I seem to be having issues clicking on the last two images you've uploaded, I've been trying to click it on both Opera and Chrome, I wonder if it is an upload issue? Would appreciate it if you could re-upload them.. maybe to Imgur or another high rez image sharing site?

Thanks a lot!

iDad

Guru
Personally I like the crop by Spruce your colors seem to off, Tom. But that may be the iPhone

Tom Mann

Guru
@Kuzumi - After I realized that I hadn't re-calibrated my system after installing the new GPU + drivers, I was rushed for time, so I only re-adjusted the colors (less saturated, cooler / less yellow) on a little 698 px wide version and posted that result. That is why when you click on it nothing happens -- there is no larger version.

@iDad - I presume you are talking about the first image in my most recent post. The earlier image I posted was way too warm and too saturated, and the 2nd image in my most recent post is an intentionally weird / Draganized version, so ignore that as well.

Since I'm just getting back on my feet with respect to color calibration, iDad, could I ask you a big favor? I did a really fast calibration with my Color Munki, earlier today, so it could still easily be off.

Could I ask you to take a close look at the image under discussion and describe precisely how the colors/tones look on your monitor(s), phones, etc.? To me, on a couple of other desktop and laptop systems that I have access to, it still looks a bit warm and over-saturated, whereas on my iPhone the shadows look a bit too bright and the colors not quite saturated enough. However, on all systems, it appears much better than the cool, weakly saturated, inky black versions posted by Spruce and the OP.

Thanks,

Tom

PS#1 - Thanks for helping out with this, iDad -- I hate changing anything in my color management chain because one always winds up having to go through this process of trying to verify that you are not putting out junky colors.

PS#2 - BTW, WRT cropping, one hardly ever has enough resolution to do justice to individuals in group shots. In photos of small numbers of people, I usually try to include more of the environment, but for large groups, I always crop close so that people have the best chance of seeing themselves.

iDad

Guru
Even though that image is 300 pixels per inch it’s so pixelated I don’t know where to start, my first impression looking at the smaller image was you probably put a photo filter over the whole image maybe a beige or a yellow now looking at it (I’m on the iMac) the floor looks like it might not of been included with the photo filter (if used), to me your tweaking is probably a more of a preference thing than a color coordination with the monitors. Basically what I was saying was I believe the crop itself would do the picture justice.
The image itself probably has a hew due to the color of the gymnasium wallsI’m not well-versed in camera techniques so I’m at a lose with suggestions with the colors other than to say the colors I thought with the original were okay.
The overly saturated or to bright, seems to me, a personal preference.
I guess the softer tones in the image I stated I like, is what I prefer?
BTW, COULD YOU TELL ME WHAT THE WORD "draganized" means? For the life of me I can't recall ever hearing or seeing that word lol

I know it to be 'Draganized' - 'Sending a e-mail to a friend, but accidentally sending it to everyone'.

Though in this case, I believe when the person who couldn't quite pull of a HDR effect came up with the name for their mistake, they misspelt Dragonize. Not that it makes them look like dragons

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
re: the Dragan Effect

a) It is named after this guy: http://www.andrzejdragan.com/ . It is not a misspelling of the mythical creature.

b) It has become incredibly popular. If you search Google Images for {dragan} you get a huge number of hits and you can see what sorts of "looks" fall under this category.

c) If you Google {photoshop tutorial dragan}, you get just under 40,000 hits, most of which are relevant. For some reason, on this forum, it often is called the "Topaz Effect", as if they were the originators of it, and as if Topaz only markets a single piece of PS-related software.

============

iDad - Thank you very much for your analysis / comments. I've got to run, but I'll get back to you late tonight.

Cheers,

Tom

I didn't mention Topaz.

I already knew it was an effect named after somebody who uses it a lot, as opposed to the person who invented it. Why else would I mock the name of the effect.

And it is also sending an email to everyone instead of just one friend.

Maybe it was http://www.andrzejdragan.com/ that started that as well.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
"And it is also sending an email to everyone instead of just one friend."

Interesting. I had never heard it used that way. (...or are u pulling my leg, and I just fell for it with the proverbial hook, line, and sinker? LOL)

T

Not sure if it's officially in any dictionary, but I'm not pulling your leg, I've used it in that context for a few years.

It will be in the urban dictionary for sure.