What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Res for a PPT background graphic?

Morgan19

Hey all. =) Before I get around to my question, I have to say that PG is one heck of a site... I'm a graphic designer and was wandering around online yesterday looking for some new stuff to try with PS and came across this site. Needless to say, it's been bookmarked and favoritized. On to the question...

This is a really simple question, though for the life of me I can't find an answer to it. What resolution should a background graphic created for a Powerpoint template be? 72 dpi makes the graphic look fuzzy onscreen, 300 dpi looks better but then the filesize is huge. Is there a standard res? When I pull a background graphic off a current PPT it shows up as something like 560 dpi, which can't be right... I know this is more of a PPT question but since I'm building the graphic in PS, I thought it'd apply.

Also, what dimensions should a background be? I think one of the reasons 72 dpi looks fuzzy is because it has to be upsized, but I can't seem to track down what dimensions it'd be. (Or am I just being dense and it should be 800x600 or whatever res the presentation is going to be displayed at?)

Thanks!
m19

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Welcome to the boards, Morgan19. Glad you join this colse-knit group.

It's been a while since I've done PPT. But I've tried 96dpi and 150dpi for both images and backgrnd pics. Create the image in 800x600. Use the PS save for web function. For higher dpi's, get the image down to a small size (say 2 inches) while maintaining the resolution.

I've never tried checking a ppt image before but I think that tho the image resolution is huge, the image is actually small in size - probably a couple of inches.

This ain't the best solution but hope this helps.

vee

Morgan19

No actually that's great, all I really needed was some indication of how others insert graphic backgrounds into ppt to compare my own procedure. And that's exactly what you provided, so thanks. =)

m19

wbiss

Guru
Welcome aboard Morgan19! :)

I'm glad to see that dv8_fx (Vee)has given you the advice/direction that you were looking for!

Enjoy your time here! ;)

sfm

Guru
welcome aboard Morgan :D

he he he just noticed the rubber ducky name well as you know......... he makes bathtime lots of fun! he he he
sfm

Morgan19

Thanks everyone, I've been sifting through the boards today and I can tell this is a fun place. :) Huge smilies, though... heh. Is there a post bar you have to reach before you can have an av, or can anyone upload one? I'm at work at the moment but when I have time I'd like to whip one up.

m19

sfm

Guru
just load one up into your profile -think they are 75x75 max but it tells you ........ look forward to seeing it :D
sfm

wbiss

Guru
Morgan19: Is there a post bar you have to reach before you can have an av
;) No post limitation Morgan19!

Check out http://photoshopgurus.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1215 where you'll find information on this subject as well as other useful information on the board, as summarized by MOD Gaussian! ;)

As stated therein, the maximum size of an avatar is 75 by 75 pixels and the file size should be kept under 10 KB.