What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resizing image, adding space to image, and other questions.

AlwaysLearning

Ok, so I have multiple questions on how to accomplish what I'm looking for. I've attached the PSD file as well as the jpeg, but what I'm trying to do is create a banner image for my friend's business to post on an automotive forum.

I need to resize this image to 468x60 (size constraints for the banner), and add extra space to it on either the right or left side. I'm doing this because I need to add at least a little bit of text indicating some brands or items that my friend sells.

I was also trying to take all the background color out but leave the color of the car there but I can't seem to figure that out either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Gavin-AlwaysLearning

Thanks so much! Would you be willing to provide some insight as to how you did this? I can see the layers of course but I'd really like just some instruction. Thanks!

first of all i created a new file, when you do, you can chose the the page size.
other then that you can just go layer by layer (first to last this is the order i did things)
and see what i did. if you want to know something about a specific layer let me know.

Hi always, it's always nice to welcome a new member who wants to learn.

If you want to keep the car you have, you will have to select it and delete the background. You can do this using the quick select tool but zoom in and clean up the edges. You can use a pen tool or you can even use the polygonal lasso tool (like a jig saw). Whatever you choose, once you have your selection click the layer mask icon at the bottom of the layer panel and it will isolate the car. Select the brush tool and go over the edges again and clean up, paint away what you don't want.

What M,S did was build a totally different image for your banner. He cut the car out from a black background, then made a gradient BG that goes from black to red so the edges of the car didn't need to be perfect. Your background is not one color so that won't work with the blue car. The top layers are all shape layers for the rectangular rods. They were probably transformed to put them at angles, but you can ask him/her. Then of course the logo or your text.

Hope this helps.

Hi always, it's always nice to welcome a new member who wants to learn.

If you want to keep the car you have, you will have to select it and delete the background. You can do this using the quick select tool but zoom in and clean up the edges. You can use a pen tool or you can even use the polygonal lasso tool (like a jig saw). Whatever you choose, once you have your selection click the layer mask icon at the bottom of the layer panel and it will isolate the car. Select the brush tool and go over the edges again and clean up, paint away what you don't want.

What M,S did was build a totally different image for your banner. He cut the car out from a black background, then made a gradient BG that goes from black to red so the edges of the car didn't need to be perfect. Your background is not one color so that won't work with the blue car. The top layers are all shape layers for the rectangular rods. They were probably transformed to put them at angles, but you can ask him/her. Then of course the logo or your text.

Hope this helps.

Ok I selected the car using the Poly Lasso Tool, but when I select the layer mask icon at the bottom, it doesn't isolate the car. It adds the mask and deselects the car. Not allowing me to delete the background.

It adds the mask and deselects the car. Not allowing me to delete the background.

Did you accidentally invert the selection or the mask? or click something besides the mask icon?

Also, I am not quite sure I know what you mean when you say "deselects the car."

I made a rough selection of the car then clicked the mask icon as I have circle in the image below:

blue_car.PNG

Last edited:
Did you accidentally invert the selection or the mask?

Also, I am not quite sure I know what you mean when you say "deselects the car."

No, at least I don't think I inverted it. I selected the car and clicked the layer mask icon. When I did that, it added the mask but it deselected the car, just like I would do if I either manually deselected it or used the keyboard short cut to do it.

It deselected the car; did it mask the car and leave the background visible? or the mask did nothing and you'd never know you made a selection?

It's possible you might need to reset your Photoshop preferences. This helps if PS is inexplicably acting up.
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum...-reset-photoshop-preferences-windows-mac.html

Hmm, I did that and it masked the car, but left the background visible. I'll reset the preferences though and see if that works. Thanks!

Back