What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

resizing problems

chuckles_82

In PS CS3 extended, Whenever I resize an image, 1 px width around the edge becomes slightly grey. It becomes very noticeable when I offset the image or tile it - which is what I want to use it for. How can I stop it from doing this?

What resolution is your document? I assume you have renders you are resizing. Are you downsizing or upscaling them? Are they vectors? You might be better off working in Illustrator.

well adding 1 pixel will be semi transparant without more detail hard to answer but your answer would be to use Vector. Is it something that could easily be created in illustrator

i think all you need to do is further crop the image after resizing. Though you're changing the size of the image, the document size remains the same, meaning when you save the image it will save the empty space unless you also crop

I'm resizing from 347x347 px to 256x256. I've tried it for many, many images, and I keep getting the same problem. I don't usually resize from anything greater than 512ish, because I lose too much detail. It's not something I could recreate in illustrator (or in my case inkscape). Would resizing it as a raster image in inkscape work better than in photoshop? Most of the images I use can't really be converted to vectors I don't think :confused:

i think all you need to do is further crop the image after resizing. Though you're changing the size of the image, the document size remains the same, meaning when you save the image it will save the empty space unless you also crop

Ahh, that's not a bad idea for some images, if I'm already cropping it from an outside area. For other images I need that 1px because I'm making seamless patterns on a rather small scale.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about Inkscape, sorry. You might try this as a workaround. It may not work on all images if they are intricate or have a lot of curves. Ctl/cmd click on the thumbnail of the image layer to make a selection. Go to select>modify>contract and enter one pixel. Either invert the selection and dlete the pixels or mask the image. I would always mask if I want to check edges before committing to the deletion.

You still haven't said what resolution you are working with. That could be making a big difference. The higher the resolution, the less problem you should have.

Ah resolution. Sorry. It's 72px/inch, but if I change that, it changes the size. I'll try resizing it in inkscape and see if I get a better result. In PS I've tried using the resize function, and the transform function then cropping. Both give me the problem edge.

perhaps then just resize to a pixels size bigger, and then crop that one pixel

Back