What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post Processing Restricting the Patch

TonyCooper

When I use the Clone tool, I can use the polygonal lasso to create a "fence" around where the cloned parts will be placed. This allows me to clone to a precise area.

There are times that I'd rather use the patch tool instead of the clone tool, but when I create that "fence", it disappears when I open the Patch tool. I have a very difficult time creating a Patch to a precise shape even using my pen and Wacom tablet.

How can I create that "fence" and place the Patched part only within that fence?

I do the same thing as you, but I mostly use the pen tool instead of the polygonal lasso. They both work. When you use the polygonal lasso to create a selection, save that selection. Then use the patch tool and deliberately patch bigger than you ultimately need. Apply a layer mask and reactivate your saved selection. Now you can mask precisely to your "fence".

I do the same a Rich. The only thing I will add is that I do the clone work on a new layer, then add the layer mask. I can then apply the layer mask and merge it later if needed.

I also use the Pen Tool which allows me to save both the selections and paths in case I need them later. I like saving the selections because you can save a feathered selection and recall it without having to adjust a saved path every time. But I always like having the path saved so I can re-adjust the feathering if needed, and save the adjusted selection.

Back