What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RGB Color Separation

novelle

hi guys!

well im new to image editing and i tried to separate
from a color photo to the basic colors which means the
R,G,B
but i dont get the whole idea behind it so i have 3 images with
this 3 colors so how does it helps me to manipulate this photo
like in color correction or tonal correction.
dont know how to handle this it will be nice if someone can explain this...

thanks a lot!

I'm wondering why you want to seperate the image when you want to adjust the colours.
Easiest way to do that is go to Image>Adjustments>Curves (Cmd+M) or Image>Adjustments>Levels (Cmd+L) and play around with the controls to get the colour the way you want it.

Yes, in some cases, rgb channels can help manipulate/correct images much better than curves or levels.

Basically you can apply the individual channels to other channels or the rgb master to effect parts of the image which are impossible to change by curves - in fact it is such a useful technique I think I'll write a page on it for my web site (have a look next week). I think it is much easier to start with the Lab colour space, as it separates tones from colours (whereas rgb has both in each channel).
If you are really want to learn about it then read books by Dan Margulis - he is the guru of colour correction. But beware you have to read this books about 3 times to fully understand what can be done! I've tried summarising a few of them on my web site.

screen printer

01/08/09
Hi my name is william and i am a parttime screen printer, i use photoshop to prepair the screen.I am new at photoshop and is learning.

Yes, in some cases, rgb channels can help manipulate/correct images much better than curves or levels.

Basically you can apply the individual channels to other channels or the rgb master to effect parts of the image which are impossible to change by curves - in fact it is such a useful technique I think I'll write a page on it for my web site (have a look next week). I think it is much easier to start with the Lab colour space, as it separates tones from colours (whereas rgb has both in each channel).
If you are really want to learn about it then read books by Dan Margulis - he is the guru of colour correction. But beware you have to read this books about 3 times to fully understand what can be done! I've tried summarising a few of them on my web site.

Hi there,

Could you PM me the page where you write about this as I can't yet see signature urls so can't visit your site!

Cheers,

S

Last edited:
I have some videos about this topic in a blog post I made regarding how to select hair in Photoshop. The videos show how to use the information in the different channels (both LAB and RGB) to make it easier to modify parts of the image. Maybe that'd help you with your question.

Using channels allow you to have more control over the editing process. I would experiment around a bit and there also are great tutorials online~
__

Back