What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ruler tool readout in inches?

waltl

Dear Folks,
I can change the rulers from pixels to inches, but I can get the ruler tool readout of length to read in inches. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for your help!

The Ruler Tool works in conjunction withe the rulers, which are different functions. To see the rulers hit Cmd/Cntrl + R or go to VIEW > RULERS.

To change how the rulers measure, double click on the ruler and make changes in preferences, or right click on a ruler and make a choice.

Whatever type of measurement your rulers are set to are what the Ruler Tool will read out. For example, rulers set to pixels, the Ruler Tool will read out in pixels.

The Ruler Tool works in conjunction withe the rulers, which are different functions. To see the rulers hit Cmd/Cntrl + R or go to VIEW > RULERS.

To change how the rulers measure, double click on the ruler and make changes in preferences, or right click on a ruler and make a choice.

Whatever type of measurement your rulers are set to are what the Ruler Tool will read out. For example, rulers set to pixels, the Ruler Tool will read out in pixels.
Dear IamSam,
That's what I hoped would happen. I did the the things you recommended and he rulers are marked in inches and the ruler tool reads in pixels. That is why I posted this question because Photoshop is not behaving according to the "rules"

Try resetting the tool. To reset a tool. Go to the TOOL PRESET PICKER located in the top left had corner of the TOOL OPTIONS BAR.
Right click and choose RESET TOOL.

or

Click on the down arrow and a window will open.
On the top right hand side of that widow will be a gear icon…click on this and choose RESET TOOL.

If that does not work, reset your prefs. This is how to reset your preferences in Photoshop: Shut down Ps. Press-and-hold Command-Option-Shift on a Mac or Ctrl-Alt-Shift on a PC, while you re-start Ps. You will get a pop-up dialog asking you if you would like to delete the settings file. You hit YES.

Reset tool will likely work yet I think the root cause issue is that the checkbox "Use Measurement Scale" was checked.
The Measurement Scale to which that checkbox refers is different than the Ruler Measure Scale. See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/measurement.html
If the measurement scale has not been set through the Image > Analysis > Set Measurement Scale, it defaults to 1pixel = 1 pixel. Ergo, if that checkbox is set, it will still make measurements in pixels.

Resetting Preferences will uncheck that box and things will work that is until you check the Use Measurement Scale box again
I would bet $5 bucks that was your issue :)
Of course I have lost a lot of $5 bills that way
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

I think the root cause issue is that the checkbox "Use Measurement Scale" was checked.
Yes.........I made the mistake of assuming that this option was not checked. I should have asked! Great observation John!

Yes.........I made the mistake of assuming that this option was not checked. I should have asked! Great observation John!
I think it fits the symptoms and from my own experience of misunderstanding for what that checkbox is used. Easy to think it means match the ruler scale (not set to pixels) yet you still get pixel measurements until you uncheck the box (which would seem pretty backwards). It doesn't help that the actual "Measurement Scale" in Image > Analysis is buried away and not used by many.
Hope it fixes the issue for Waltl as it did for me previously.
John Wheeler

It doesn't help that the actual "Measurement Scale" in Image > Analysis is buried away and not used by many.
I mostly use it (analysis) to measure unknown angles. I've not had much occasion to measure/compare distances though. But I do know it's there when needed.

Thanks for all your help. IAMSAM's advice to delete the settings file cured my problem. It's a little dramatic since I have to reset all my settings, but it did solve my problem.

You're welcome. Glad one of our suggestions worked.

Back