What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Out of Time

DannyMorrisPD

I haven't posted in a long while, but I'm looking to participate on here frequently and share my work as well. Here's a composite I just wrapped up. The model photo was taken by myself (I'm a photographer as well as graphic designer). I would love some feedback :)

watercomposite.jpg

I like the look, but please understand, I am from a different generation. I don't understand it. Please explain it's meaning and what one would do with an image like that? Don't take offense, I love the work.

This is a great looking piece! My only critique would be that the water pouring from the painting isn't realistic. Might want to shoot for more of a waterfall look, imo.

Renegade,
How is that water pouring out of a picture is supposed look realistic to begin with? I'm just sayin..
This is a great looking piece! My only critique would be that the water pouring from the painting isn't realistic. Might want to shoot for more of a waterfall look, imo.

Renegade,
How is that water pouring out of a picture is supposed look realistic to begin with? I'm just sayin..

lol dude, don't knock artistic expression. There's a difference between realistic effects and realism. =P

Thank you for the feedback everyone. ALB68, with the piece being titled Running Out of Time, it's an anti-smoking theme. I was a smoker for 10 years and I quit about a year ago. My gf is still a smoker and I can see the difference between our health. Everyone knows smoking is a killer, and although everyone is running out of time in life, since we all eventually die, I made this indicating that smoking is an accelerator. Which is why there's a damaged clock on the floor and the painting spilling out the water filling up the room. And of course it's just a subtle picture of my gf smoking. Renegade, I originally used a waterfall and it looked so far out of place. This is more of a water overflowing out of a sink kind of look.

Thank you for the feedback everyone. ALB68, with the piece being titled Running Out of Time, it's an anti-smoking theme. I was a smoker for 10 years and I quit about a year ago. My gf is still a smoker and I can see the difference between our health. Everyone knows smoking is a killer, and although everyone is running out of time in life, since we all eventually die, I made this indicating that smoking is an accelerator. Which is why there's a damaged clock on the floor and the painting spilling out the water filling up the room. And of course it's just a subtle picture of my gf smoking. Renegade, I originally used a waterfall and it looked so far out of place. This is more of a water overflowing out of a sink kind of look.

Very good theme. I am very aware of where your coming from now. Quit over 30 years ago myself and never went back. When I came up almost everybody used tobacco in some form. My dad died from lung cancer when I was 12 yrs old but we didn't really have proof that it was caused from smoking for many years after that. We've come a long way baby as far as a awareness goes. That phrase "we've come a long way baby" was for a cigarette ad years ago that touted some brand to women.

The image is interesting but for me, without your explanation, I would have just been confused as to it's meaning. Great message, just not enough focus on the smoking aspect of the composition.

It is an interesting piece. I like it. Great choice of tones.

The clock may be a bit of a cliche in surrealism, but it works with your theme. Still seems a bit artistically dated to me though clocks are certainly [succinct] metaphors for a lot of ideas.

I only have one other comment. One thing is making it look really off to me. It's the left side of the girl's face. For me it spoils the image even if the message is that smoking spoils your body, which appears obvious on the face and so forth. It's a beautiful image and this part is jarring to me. Maybe if the body was morphing into a skeleton, it wouldn't seem so distracting. But as it is, to my way of thinking, it looks mistaken, out of context.

Please keep sharing!

ibclare, thanks for the input. The left side of her face, it's actually her letting smoke slowly pour out of her mouth. Not sure if thats the element you were talking about.

Yes, that is it. I enlarged it all the way (though I don't have my big monitor connected) and it looks too solid, kind of pasted on. Can you post an enlarged img of this segment please?

Yes, thanks for the enlargement. I see what I was having trouble with now. For me, the black tears interfere with the smoke trail. You may not agree, but I think if they were of a lower opacity that would work better. IMO. Overall, it's a great image.

ibclare, glad I cleared it up for ya. The black tears is actually her mascara running. Those were not photoshopped in. We did the wet look (hair, makeup) to go with a more grungy tattered look. And thank you for the compliment!

There are some issues with the angles in this picture such as the girl seams to be sitting on the floor while the clock is almost have a feeling of going thru the floor. The girl, if I'm correct is shot with an wide angle lens while the room gives me a feeling of a more normal lens around 50-70mm? It's a just small thing that catch my eye and things doesnt have to be correct. I like the colors you have going but I would like a little bit more saturation in the less saturated colors and maybe a hint of yellow hitting the girl on her right side to give some connection to the lamp in the cealing. Maybe even consider adding a yellow reflection in the water since in a real situation I belive there should be some.

Dalkarls, the model was shot with a Canon 5D MKII full frame camera at 24mm. She was sitting on a stool so her proportions are correct. There actually is a very faint hint of yellow on her face, but I probably should have made it a bit more noticeable. As for the clock, the shape of it is almost formed into a U, so it lays properly on the floor. It's just tough to see because it's submerged under water.

I agree with Dalkaris; good eye. These are things I didn't notice. The clock maybe lacks a bit of perspective coming forward. To me, it does sink into the floor. However, that doesn't bother me. I like the illusion though it could be emphasized more. 24mm is wide angle of course and maybe the wall could be a bit more convex where it meets the floor, but it's not a make or break for me either. The light on her face I can see in the enlargement you posted is very slightly yellow, but I do think it could be brought up as highlights with more shadow on the other side, brightening not just on her face but the left side of her body. Having her foot sink under more like the clock is an interesting idea. It would take some transformation tricks. The effects around her foot didn't seem right to me from the first but the face was more confusing. I still think the mascara marks under the smoke have a weird opaque effect . . .

Having said all the above, I like it as it is, but it wouldn't hurt to try a change or two.

Back