What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Save for web nuisance

Carl

Hi members,
I hope this is the right forum for my question
I just found out that everytime I use the "Save for Web" /preview in browser option to see how an image is looking in a particular browser, Photoshop makes a map in my Windows\Temp directory where the image and the *.html file is stored. Even though I press "cancel", it will still be stored on my harddrive. Any suggestions on how to prevent this, would be appreciated.
P.S. I tried changing my preview files prefs to "Never Save" to no avail.
Thanks Carl
An example:

vogonpoet

Hi Carl.

I just tested what you said using PS and Imageready. With photoshop's 'save for web' preview in browser, PS does indeed create the temp files and when you close PS the temp files remain. This is not right.

In IR, if you use the preview in browser feature, it creates the temp files, but when you cancel/close IR, the temp files are automatically deleted. This, imho should happen from PS, but does not.

I am not sure if this is a bug or not, but technically, temp files should be exactly that! Temporary! heh. Not sure if there is a way of preventing this?

In any event, it is always a good idea to regularly check and clean out your windows temp folder. Especially when PS crashes, because it will leave a huge PS temp file that needs to be deleted. (Huge as many hundereds of mb :( )

I havent got a good answer except to use IR to preview in your browser.

Carl

Thanx for your swift reply.:) VP
I noticed this a few months ago, and it has since been bothering me. When it comes to computer, I am a messy person. But I like to make my own mess, so I know where and where to clean up. I was just surprised to find that this does not bother anyone else (that I know of ).
Well, I guess I will to have to live with it, and do regular spring cleaning.
CU...Carl

vogonpoet

no prob Carl :)

if your using PS on a regular basis, 'spring cleaning' is a good idea! ;)

I check my temp folder usually daily, and defrag weekly.I want my poor little puter to be in tip top condition as much as poss!

If your using scratch disks, you also want to defrag that disk (or partition) too.

A clean puter is a happy puter! heh

theKeeper

Guru
Just wanted to say that i too can see no way of changing the PS acts in this case. My only advice is an echo of VP -- use IR for that instead.

PS: my photoshop is installed on another drive, not my C drive. And PS creates it's temp file in the root directory of that other drive. It's never created it in or used the Windows Temp folder.
So if this is similar to anyone else's setup/situation, then ya might wanna check the root directory of the drive that PS is installed on.

AppleCider

Power User
I use a Mac, of course, but on the Mac side we had this problem with OS 9.0.4. The 9.1 update to the OS fixed the problem. On Adobe's site they advised Mac users to update the OS for the fix. I know zero about Windows updates, but could there be a fix for this on the OS side?

Carl

On a sidetrack, I do not know how many of you use illustrator, but I noticed that version # 10 does the same.

Carl

theKeeper

Guru
Ok i've just tried a couple scenarios here...

I'm using WinXP, so the "temp" folder setup is a bit different. But i still do not get PS using the normal TEMP folder to store copies of these unsaved files. All i can manage to find in there is the normal PS swap file. I'm thinking that perhaps Win2K & XP operate differently in this situation, than Win98.

I don't think you mentioned which version of Windows you're using Carl? And how much RAM do you have? This may also be related to not having enough Ram to allow PS to create these temp files using it's allotted scratch disk space. That's just a stab in the dark.

I use AI too. But haven't used it for Web design really. Not for an entire page layout anywho. So i haven't noticed it's behaviour in this way. But i'm assuming it would act the same for me as PS does. Might very well be an OS thing.

I suggest you also post this question on the Adobe forum because their tech guys will help answer it. Just be sure to tell them the version of Windows you're using.

Carl

These are my specs:
PIII 800 MHz--WIN98/2ND ED--768Meg RAM--40 GB--PS7--AI10.
Maybe this is an OS issue, but I like the one I have. I have little to no problems, and I would hate having to upgrade just to accomodate one program's whims.
I'll check the Adobe forum about this...

I usually do a weekly cleanup of my temp map, so it is not a big thing.
Like I said it is a just a tad annoying:\
---------
Carl

G

It is possible to write a simple batch procedure (at least for users with some Dos experience) that starts Photoshop and removes these files after you close PS, that is if they all have a something in common in their name.

AppleCider

Power User
Great idea, Gaussian! I know it's very possible with AppleScript, to automatically delete the contents of an entire folder on a user specified event. Something like this:

Tell Application "Finder"
Activate
set temp_list to every file of the entire contents of folder "folder_name" of Macintosh HD [path to folder here] whose creator is 8BIM
onEvent
quit Application "Photoshop [version #]"

repeat with i from 1 to the number of items in temp_list
move to Trash
end Tell

G

Great one Julie :)

And here an example in DOS (I name the file start.bat for example)

@echo off
c:
cd\program files\adobe\photoshop 7.0\
photoshop.exe
del c:\temp\a*.txt

Needless to say that the different file names have to be changed to reflect the situation on every other computer.

a*.txt is just an example; in this case only files that start with the letter a and have the extension txt will be deleted.

AppleCider

Power User
Yeah, AppleScript is great B7

Lots of things you can do with that simple script, like make a dialog pop up asking you if you're sure, then another one confirming that it's done.

Perl is great for handling text files of any kind; I know little about it though since AS does everything I need :)

G

http://users.tpg.com.au/jmhood/delenxrd/

Here you can download XRD which will enable you to delete directories using wildcards (documentation is included).

XRD /? shows the help screen. The program is freeware

I tried it on a NTFS partition without a problem.
Use it carefully. I'm not responsible for any damage ;)

theKeeper

Guru
wow you guys are really taking this issue to a whole nother level huh?! hahaa Excellent! :perfect: